1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

...something will work

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by chighemezu, Jul 28, 2005.

1. chighemezu

chighemezu

Mar 18, 2005
    Bologna Italy
    hello guys,
    this is my first post, I'm Alessandro from italy.
    Lastly I struggled with some ampli, mic and pickup to get a good sound from my bass whose name is "la zdoura" who is a cheap lady but does its work (at least for now).
    first I tried a tipical combo gallian but I saw immidiatly that this is not for my fingers.
    since I'm principally a pianist during a concert a bass-player who I never met since that occasion in which we played together introduced me to a shertler dyn-b prea II and pub 280.
    I was very enthusiastic of his sound and my sound when I tried his bass( 20,000 euros of bass) after the concert, infact I bought the "chain" a month later from a distributor here in italy.
    at that point I discoverd that the "chain" in this case is not for my bass.
    shertler amplifies every thing in a very transparent way, if your bass is not very good (poor and imperfect bass tones, no sustain, no body ecc ecc) the difects will be amplified.
    Now I got an AI coda that a friend brought me from the states.
    the sound of this ampli is very good although a little artificial, but with the upton rev solo my bass now works as I wanted and I have no need to put a mic and a pickup to obtain something acceptable( by the way in a mean time I had bought also a "david" from shertler). :hyper:
    now I'd like to try different combination to increse the quality and quantity of sound and although I don't want to eliminate enything since I use dyn-b david and pub to amplify the piano
    I think my next money will be for a good bass, money permitting. :bag:
    best regards (is it said?)
    alessandro

2. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    It is very hard, but interesting thing- to find the best way to amplify your bass (=to let the people listen to your unique voice...).
    It is hard, because double bass is the gentleman- he doesn't like to scream and shout to the audience.
    For me, the hardest thing is to find the voice of my unamplified bass, to understand how can I create it and follow with it, and then- how to amplify it.
    It is great, that you have so many possibilities to get different kinds of amps, pickups etc. But I think, that it is great idea to find a good, solid bass, or to go to the luthier with the old one and try to make it "stronger". (Very expensive basses could be also "weak").
    Best regards :) :bassist:
    Pat

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Pat, I love that line! You are so right.

And you are also right in that (a) your technique and (b) your instrument are the keys to getting a good acoustic sound, and then from there moving on to amplifying that sound as accurately as possible.

Ray? Ed? Has I lurnd a lessin?

4. chighemezu

chighemezu

Mar 18, 2005
    Bologna Italy
    right to the point!
    the best would be to find my personal sound, but ... lunga è la strada
    Ps mine is a lady rather than a gentelmen and this is... :crying: