Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...something will work

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by chighemezu, Jul 28, 2005.

1. chighemezu

chighemezu

Mar 18, 2005
    Bologna Italy
    hello guys,
    this is my first post, I'm Alessandro from italy.
    Lastly I struggled with some ampli, mic and pickup to get a good sound from my bass whose name is "la zdoura" who is a cheap lady but does its work (at least for now).
    first I tried a tipical combo gallian but I saw immidiatly that this is not for my fingers.
    since I'm principally a pianist during a concert a bass-player who I never met since that occasion in which we played together introduced me to a shertler dyn-b prea II and pub 280.
    I was very enthusiastic of his sound and my sound when I tried his bass( 20,000 euros of bass) after the concert, infact I bought the "chain" a month later from a distributor here in italy.
    at that point I discoverd that the "chain" in this case is not for my bass.
    shertler amplifies every thing in a very transparent way, if your bass is not very good (poor and imperfect bass tones, no sustain, no body ecc ecc) the difects will be amplified.
    Now I got an AI coda that a friend brought me from the states.
    the sound of this ampli is very good although a little artificial, but with the upton rev solo my bass now works as I wanted and I have no need to put a mic and a pickup to obtain something acceptable( by the way in a mean time I had bought also a "david" from shertler). :hyper:
    now I'd like to try different combination to increse the quality and quantity of sound and although I don't want to eliminate enything since I use dyn-b david and pub to amplify the piano
    I think my next money will be for a good bass, money permitting. :bag:
    best regards (is it said?)
    alessandro

2. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    It is very hard, but interesting thing- to find the best way to amplify your bass (=to let the people listen to your unique voice...).
    It is hard, because double bass is the gentleman- he doesn't like to scream and shout to the audience.
    For me, the hardest thing is to find the voice of my unamplified bass, to understand how can I create it and follow with it, and then- how to amplify it.
    It is great, that you have so many possibilities to get different kinds of amps, pickups etc. But I think, that it is great idea to find a good, solid bass, or to go to the luthier with the old one and try to make it "stronger". (Very expensive basses could be also "weak").
    Best regards :) :bassist:
    Pat

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Pat, I love that line! You are so right.

And you are also right in that (a) your technique and (b) your instrument are the keys to getting a good acoustic sound, and then from there moving on to amplifying that sound as accurately as possible.

Ray? Ed? Has I lurnd a lessin?

4. chighemezu

chighemezu

Mar 18, 2005
    Bologna Italy
    right to the point!
    the best would be to find my personal sound, but ... lunga è la strada
    Ps mine is a lady rather than a gentelmen and this is... :crying: