1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Something wonderfully weird happened

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ironbar, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Never in my personal history of making online purchases has a retailer EVER called me to thank me for my purchase, and yet that's exactly what happened this past Saturday!

Very early Saturday morning (couldn't sleep) I bought a foot switch for my amp from Sweetwaters. Never dealt with them before. Lo and behold, about 8:30am Saturday morn I get a call from them to thank me for buying it! I forget the name of the guy who called me, but I was just flabbergasted that they called at all! :bassist: We ended up chatting for about 20 minutes about all things bass-ish, and their store history. Super-nice guy, wish I remembered his name though.

Anyway, I just thought that was really cool. And of course I'm throwing the obligatory, "not affiliated with Sweetwater in any way" line.

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    A man walks into a bar. Ouch, it was an Ironbar.

Anyway - SW does it right. That's how to get and keep your customers, which is SO forgotten these days.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Even in brick and mortar.

In today's world online is competing for sales with the BM stores. If the BM can't offer anything the Online stores do they won't be here.

That's a shame but it the reality of the situation.

4. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I ordered some strap locks from Sweetwater through EBay. They sent me candy with it!

I freakin' love these guys!

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah they are great. A friend owns a studio and will ONLY deal with one guy there (I think his name is Mike). Every time my friend tries to buy from somewhere else, he deals with it for about 10 seconds and goes right back to Sweetwater. He says there is no comparison to their customer service.

He recently bought a guitar from them (a standard Tele I believe). His guy spent over a half hour on the phone trying to help him pick WHICH ONE to get. By which one I mean based on weight, wood grain, etc which one of the EXACT SAME MODEL AND COLOR guitar to get. They had 8 sunburst with white guard in stock. They spent 30 minutes deciding WHICH ONE of those 8 to get. That's how far out of the way they go.

6. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Yes, I have had the same type of experiences with Sweetwater. They have won me over as a loyal customer.
    Don't tell Matticus though he doesn't like getting calls. :bag: :p

7. Yes, Sweetwater is fantastic. And the candy comes with every package that is shipped to you! Last time it was an assortment with a Bit O Honey. It reminded me how they'd help you with that pesky toothache and save you the dentist' fee.

I recently sent an email to my CS rep there about a Fender Cabronita they had in stock with a 6 pole guitar pickup in it that normally goes in a Hot Rodded Telecaster. He answered back and said they occasionally are offered to carry rarities like that. I looked at other Cabs and they all had bass pickups, so it really was a weirdo.

My first purchase from them was an Ampeg Micro-CL. They weren't able to price match MF's coupon-enhanced price, but came close enough to make it worth avoiding MF. It's kind of cool and intimate to call your own CS rep to place an order instead of click click add to cart pay.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Sweetwater, and a local radio station, have an IRON GRIP on this town. If you don't have anyone in your band who works at one of the two, you won't get the sweet gigs.

PERIOD.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Its true, I dont. I do appreciate the quality of customer service that Sweetwater provides, though.
    I just dont care for the "Hey, you havent bought anything from us in 6 months" phone calls.

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

But we still love you. :p

11. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I read the first sentence and thought "Sweetwater!" before I went any further.

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I had a similar experience recently. I bought a new acoustic Yamaha guitar at a local music store, and it didn't come with a case. Which was fine because it fit in my practically-new Fender acoustic case. A few days later, they called me to tell me they found a case for my guitar and it was mine if I wanted it. I told them to just keep it since I already had one that fit. Anyway, that was really nice of them!

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I love Sweetwater.

I ordered a $40 accessory and feel like I got the same level of service as if I had order $4000 worth of gear.

14. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Got my combo amp through Sweetwater. Excellent customer service. Very attentive and thorough. They did send me their big brick of a catalog a few times, which I thought was kinda wasteful for a guy who just bought a combo amp one time, but they eventually got the hint when I didn't buy anything else and stopped sending them. I'd definitely use them again if I have a need to. I just prefer to be more hands on with my purchases, generally speaking.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Does sweetwater sell coffee beans or espresso equipment?

-Mike

16. Not Sweetwater, but another great CS service story. My wife took her car to get under coated by Krown, she left her coffee mug in the waiting room. Someone hand delivered it back to our house.

lowsound

17. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

Sep 10, 2011
    Virginia
    Bought a Schecter bass at Guitar Center a few weeks ago. Salesman was nice and helpful, and lo and behold he sent me a followup email the other day asking how I liked the guitar, etc. First time that's ever happened in all the years I've been shopping there, unfortunately. GC gets a bad rap often, but this time this particular employee got it right.

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    They call me every six months to say hi.