Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something Wrong or Killer Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Apr 1, 2003.

1. It's a very good deal!

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. There's definatley something wrong!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I was checking out this bass at Musicians Friend. Look at the price! The specs look great too! It makes me wonder why it is so cheap. I think it is made out of the US, possibly Britain. Or could it be the lucite body? A possible explanation is that Musicians Friend is having an annual sale. If anyone has any experiences with or any explanations for this bass, please respond.

The Bass

2. I'd be concerned about the weight. I had an Ibanez Strat copy with a clear Lucite body, it was extremely heavy. If you can get your hands on one to see if you like the feel and sound, and like both, then it looks like a bargain.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The bass is probably a model that's being phased out. It's unlikely MF is losing money, even at that price. Can't comment on the bass itself, as I've never played one.

I don't know about the "lucite" body, though.:D

Edit: for the benefit of those who don't seem to know, It should have been spelled "Luthite" and it's the same synthetic material Ibanez uses to make the Ergodyne basses.

Bonus: It's spelled D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I believe that MF has the description wrong. IIRC, they are actually made of luthite, not lucite. My only experience with luthite was in a music store and the bass smelled funny.

5. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    The reason they're so cheap might be that it was old marsmusic stock. I went to a couple of those stores before they shut and they had at least 4-5 curbows each. Since MF bought them out I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same ones....

6. There have been instrument bodies made from Lucite (a DuPont product), but it wasn't a good choice of material. It cracked easily and is heavy. However, looking at the current line-up of Curbow basses on Cort's site, they are all "luthite" so this one probably is as well. Maybe the data entry person for their website thought someone was just typing with a lisp... :p

7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
  8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I didn't feel like it was that outstanding of a price. Just to make sure you know this...it's Cort that's designed by Greg Curbow. Not one of the actual handmade Curbows. And it is indeed made outside of the us. I believe Corts are made in Korea. Sorry if you already know any of the above. Just wanted to make sure that you know exactly what it is. I've heard good things about the Cort Curbows for the price, FWIW.

brad cook

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno ive seen them cheaper than that, thats not a great deal. definately play before u buy, thats a bass id never buy. Ive played them before and they are awkward to say the least. The necks are super super super flat if i remeber right also. Im used to playing Pbass neck shapes so this is especially awkward for me. Im not saying u wont like it but thats one of those basses you def cant buy out of a magazine, play one first.

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Reasons it's cheap:
    1) Korea
    2) Cort
    3) Bart is made overseas
    4) Pre is also foreign
    5) Luthite is a fancy name for PLASTIC which can be molded easily into shape.
    Need I say more?

11. That's not much cheaper than usual. Though, of all the under 1 grand 6s I've played (mind you I havent touched a Brice yet), it's my favorite. You just gotta learn to play standing up all the time because that lower horn just don't fly.