Something wrong with my neck...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by crazyphil, May 22, 2003.

1. Ok, I've found what the buzzing sound is with my bass and it is coming from inside the neck. When I knock on the neck with my knuckle, I here the sound of something metal hitting wood. I'm assuming it's the truss rod, however it's been tightened. The bass plays fine and to the best of my knowledge the buzzing does not come through the amp.

I realize my description of this problem is vague but does anyone have any advice on what I should do, if anything?
  2. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Do you think the rod might be broken? Or can you still adjust the neck?

What kind of bass is it?
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

A common place to cause a rattle sound similiar is having your strap button rattle. Seen this a few times with strap locks.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    That's no way to play a bass. Check your tuning keys also.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Several things come to mind:
    - remove your knuckle dusters before playing :p
    - this post belongs in Technique :)) Turock)
    - your truss rod could be OK but still vibrate
    - I have also had loose strap buttons make noise
  6. Thanks for the advice, but the problem is NOT the strap or tuning pegs. The buzzing is coming from inside the neck. If I grab the headstock and apply a little bit of pressure to the neck, it goes away while I'm holding it. The neck is not twisted and it plays fine.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sounds like the truss rod is loose or just vibrating against the wood inside the neck. I don't know if anything can be done about it, it's a question for a luthier or repair guy I think.
  8. This was posted twice.. why? PLease dont do that.