Something Wrong With My Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Feb 14, 2004.

1. I am getting worried. I recieved my Corelli 370F G & D , and Helicore orch. med. They have been incredibly terrible so far. The Corellis are horribly scratchy , thin and just painful to hear myself sound so bad. The helicores are a little muddy ; but that I dont mind. The issue with them is the bow response , or lack their of. The obligatos grabbed better. I have tried little rosin , lots ; Hard rosin , medium , soft , ;I tried fiddling with the bridge , etc.,. No Dice...They sound good for jazz so i will hold onto them for that....but i cant afford to spend 100$ on new Ob's (borrowed previous set for trial). :help: :bawl:
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Seems you didn't find your ideal string set yet!
    Welcome to the club!
    I'm experimenting with strings since 20 years, so don't worry! :)
    As a serious advice:
    Get you teacher to play your bass and see what he/she thinks.
  3. Excellant Point and I was planning on just that. However when I say bad I do not mean "not quite right". I mean incredibly terrible. It was horrible beyond compare.
  4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    As ridiculous as this may sound , last year i almost got a nervous breakdown because of the bass, different strings, pickups, amps, speakers, I WAS GOIN' NUTS, i was trying and playing everything and nothing really made me happy, then , i had a time which i just play acoustic, no pickup, no amp, and i started to calm down, now, i got a job playing with a loud blues band and everything starts again...... :crying:
  5. I know what you mean, Not only do i have to replace these failures , I need solo gauge strings..... :bawl: