Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something wrong with them Funksters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ... Haven't they heard that after your quarter note, you are supposed to follow up with three more quarter notes? :D

My band is having me learn:

1) Play That Funky Music White Boy - Wild Cherry
    2) Long Train Running - The Doobie Brothers
    3) Brick House - The Commodores
    4) Love Roller coaster - Ohio Players
    5) Rappers Delight/Good Times - Chic
    6) Get Down on It - Kool and the Gang
    7) Super Freak - Rick James
    8) Let's Groove - Earth, Wind, and Fire
    9) Hollywood Swinging - Kooland the Gang

Boy it's really alien from what I am used to. I wonder, when I decided I wanted so expand my horizons... did I mean all the way? ;)

So can this stiff, boring white-boy ever learn to groove??? Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion!

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    after you learned there songs you will groove like a mad man!! :cool:
    If you don't, there is something seriously wrong with you!
    These song groove by themself, just play the line and enjoy.
    I wish we could have a set list like this.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...geez, I was playin' those exact(& I do mean EXACT)tunes back in the '70s.
    "Get Down On It" & "Superfreak" may have been in the '80s...still! ;)

Fact: I'm still playing "Play That Funky Music", albeit in a New Country parody band(Two beat, Root-5 feel during the chorus; yee-haw).

"Hollywood Swingin'"-
    ...what I love about that tune is how the bass & guitar don't get in each others' way(one plays/one rests, one rests/one plays, blah).

What sorta instrumentation do you guys have?
    Just wonderin'...how 'bout adding some Average White Band & Rufus?

...there's an early Lee Ritenour tune(off Rit 2?)with the EXACT same groove as EW&F's "Let's Groove Tonight"...anybody know the tune?
    (I'll look for it later...). ;)

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL! :D Yeah, man. I'm white and I think I get it. But I've been listening to hard-core funk for at least 20 years. The best way to do it is learn the lines by ear and pay attention to the subtle nuances. You also learn to get really tight with the 16th note syncopations and leaving space on four sometimes.

You also start respecting what shorter notes and rests can do. I'm currently working with a new drummer - introducing him to the world of funk; one of the things we're studying is "playing the rests". I've lately started to realize the power of silence: it makes the played notes whack you upside the head much harder! Seems to me that longer, sustained notes, without frequent rests, is more typical of "white" rock. As someone once said, "the funk lives between the notes." I think it's about the most interesting material for electric bass. Check out the influences listed in my profile, too. Best of luck with it.
    - Mike

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the funk! I'm a fellow white bow who has been a funkateer for a long time. My favorite band I've ever had was a funk/reggae band, playing serious groove.

I often to refer to guitar-driven ("white") music* as "carpet music". The sound of all the instruments starts at the beginning, and continues until the end. A lot of "black" music, on the other hand, has tons of spaces. I don't have nearly as much fun as a bass player in "carpet music", because it seems that the main goal is to be heard over the guitars. Hell, I could go to the bathroom and lots of people wouldn't notice, as long as the guitars are wailing. Reggae or funk, on the other hand, are bass-driven. You have a lot more responsibility and more space in the sonic landscape.

*-I hate categories like "white" vs. "black" music. I apologize; I used it for shorthand...

6. Good luck Gabu. :D

Brick House is the only one that kills me, there is something to that groove. Getting it perfect took me a lot of time. Most people can fake it easy but getting it perfect is the thing that will teach.

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    ooooooohh man, you simply must add the Average White Band's "Pick Up the Pieces" to that set list :D that two-note octave groove is just infested with funk warts.. plenty of room to go nuts on it, too. i went absolutely apesh*t on that song live.. and then you suddenly figure out that playing stupid amounts of notes and attempting to show off your "technique" in a funk song just won't work :p it's all grooving, bay-beeeeeee !

8. Hey For Superfreak you have to do about a 30 sec. Intro with the 5 3 2 0 0 3 2 0 and watch all the dorks in the crowd wip out there early 90's dance skill from you can't touch this, It' a riot.:D

9. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA