sometimes all it takes is a new set of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pcake, Jul 21, 2020.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i used to love to play my little green mikro, but when the strings i usually use went dead, d'addarios didn't totally make me happy. they weren't bad, but i found myself playing other basses more.

i tried some extra light short scale fender strings on it recently, and the magic is back. i find myself playing it for hours every day. it doesn't just sound better, the strings are so responsive.

isn't it amazing the difference the right strings can make?

Vinny_G, bcbckr, BassinCT and 10 others like this.
  2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Right with you there. When I first get a bass I’ll try lots of different strings until I find the ideal set for that instrument.

Once I’ve settled on a set I stick to those.

Border and pcake like this.
  3. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Some strings of the same producer in same gauge and tipology could be different each from other. Like the basses. Different strings are so different that with the same bass you can think you're playing another....

pcake likes this.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    No doubt. Took me a dozen years to really figure that out wth one nice custom build bass, so I'm very glad I didn't sell that bass off before I wised up.

BassinCT and pcake like this.
  5. I have a quotation from a very wise TB user as my signature.

Glad you’ve found your strings!

Hachimitsu and pcake like this.
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    It absolutely is!

pcake likes this.
  7. I also agree.
    I've had a set of GHS Bass Boomers on my BTB for about two years, and just put a set of the same gauge, 45-130 Ernie Ball Slinkys on yesterday, and the difference in sound and feel is very pronounced.
    Most noticeable is the clarity of the Ernie Ball 130 B string.
    So much cleaner and deeper than GHS.
    I changed them not so much for the sound, but the GHS were starting to feel yucky.
    I know, same strings on a bass for two years: terrible.

Mike ;)

pcake likes this.
  8. What you should do now is to make sure those Slinkys stay on for the next two years, then replace them with a new set of Boomers to see how that will affect the overall sound. ;)

9. An exciting bonus photo for my friends...
    The bass wall at Sam Ash, Manhattan. This is about 1/3 of the wall.
    Fourth from left, top row.
    Beautiful BTB.

Mike. :thumbsup:
    20200723_160913~2.jpg

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thanks for that - i MISS instrument stores!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  11. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Agreed! To me, my bass becomes a different instrument when I change to a different set. This week, I found a string set that awakened one of my basses. It needed a string with a little more mass, but with a flexible core. I had tried two of my favorite sets (Fodera light nickel and Dunlop SB’s) and liked something about both sets. I put DR Pure Blues on, and it was the middle ground that worked remarkably well with this particular bass.

pcake likes this.
  12. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Or a string ever same gauge in every basses. Same feeling but different sounds...

pcake likes this.
  13. I’ve been there a few times. Never could wrap my head around the cubic miles of instruments on display. The overhead, out of reach cases of $25,000 plus guitars especially!

Michael Jewels likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021