Sometimes feeling uninspired.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Samelot, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    hi, i sometimes get down in the dumps about my bass playing. I guess i just find my self on somedays uninterested in playing bass. But other days im just all over it. And then i feel like im really hurting my bass palying by not playing everday, like 4 hours a day. Beacuse my goal is to become extremely good. Do u think its alright to have off days, and also do u guys know of any ways or ways of practicing to get me inspired.
  2. It's ok to take days off from playing. I know sometimes when I get in a rut and don't feel like playing or get down on my playing, I pop in a concert DVD and that usually gets me wanting to play.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if your goal is to become extremely good, I don't think you can take any longer than a day off and rarely. To be a world class player the caliber of Victor Wooten or Michael Manring takes extreme dedication and if you're uninspired to play sometimes, then quite honestly it probably won't happen for you. On the other hand, you can still be very good, but you won't be at Vic or Michael's level.

I once worked with a sax player who toured with a band while Jaco was playing with Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders. He said that if Jaco wasn't eating or sleeping, he had a bass in his hands and would practice like 14-15 hours a day.

As for finding inspiration, you have to find your own inspiration. Sure, it can get old to do nothing but practice, and I really don't advocate Jaco's level of single-mindedness, but it's up to you to find your own inspiration and reason for practicing.