1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sometimes I HATE winter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric426, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I can usually tolerate and sometimes even enjoy Michigan winters, but when a bass I've been craving for a long time finally arrives and even the case is so cold that I don't dare open it for a hour or two, it makes me CRAZY!!! :scowl: :spit: :( :bawl: :help:

2. I had this yesterday when my new Lakland came. I stared at the cold box all night. :bawl:

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Forgive my ignorance, but why do you have to wait an hour? Will the finish crack?

4. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    It's a real possibility if the temperature differential is enough and the wood expands faster than the finish can tolerate. I just figure it's safer to let it warm slowly. No sense risking an avoidable problem with a brand new bass, but it sure tests my patience!

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    It's 60 degrees here. I'm not even sure we have a winter.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Angelino's! Sheesh!

Yes, you run the risk of the finish checking if you take it from very cold to room temp right away. I knew a guy that had this happen about 25 years ago taking his bass into a gig from his frosty cool car. Not a good thing unless you're into the whole relic'd look.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I always hate winter. It's supposed to get to 81 today.

8. Yeah, we got up to about 86 degrees a few days ago. Now it's still a little too chilly, being about 55 in the Dallas area. Can't wait for those triple digits to hit!

9. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    :) Yeah, I have to admit – it doesn't get very cold here (and I've lived here all my life).

ric426, what kind of bass is it? I'm sure the "case GAS" must be terribly painful!

10. Mr. Black

Mr. Black

Oct 23, 2007
    Portland, TX

91 in Corpus the other day........

LOVE IT!!!!!

:D

11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    arrggg you Texas and California guys make me feel envy, Hopefully we will get 90 here in Michigan by July, probably two or three days if we are lucky enough !!!

12. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    What the hell??? Why cant it be so nice up here?

13. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    tell me about it. I'm from Buffalo:(

14. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    I had sansamp stop working cause it was too cold. Let it warm up and the damn thing came right back to life.

15. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    We pay for it with our summers that last most of the year. Houston also tends to have 100% humidity. A LOT. It evens out, trust me.

16. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    It's a brand spankin' new Sadowsky Metro RV4-HPJ and I just got done playing for the first time! Everything I'd hoped for and more! It's at least as good as my RV4 J bass and that's been my favorite for several years now. I've only played it here in my office through a headphone amp and I'm already impressed. I don't even have it set up my way, with the strings I like, and it plays great.
    I'm so used to buying only used basses that when I played this one for the first time I felt like I was welcoming it to it's first home. It's only been played by the guys at Bass Northwest and they'd just received it a couple day before I bought it.
    Fed Ex came through again and got it to me a day earlier than scheduled. That's happened for me at least 4 other times too. UPS would have sat on it for a day rather than deliver it early.

Can't wait to get it home and plugged in. It's gonna be a looong afternoon at work.

You Texas boys do like to rub it in this time of year, don't you? I'll be thinking of you this August. :rollno: ;)
    I'll take a Michigan winter over a southern summer any time. At least when I'm cold in the winter I can just put on more clothes and be comfortable. When it's 102 with 100% humidity you can take *everything* off and you're still gonna be uncomfortable. I do miss riding my bike this time of year though.

17. mikethecannibal

mikethecannibal

Jan 19, 2008
    erie pa
    i think it is about 4 degrees here in cruddy erie PA, wow i hate this town/city a lot...

18. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Can any of you guys spare some Coppertone? I just got back from surfing in Newport and can't seem to find mine anywhere.:cool:

19. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I HATE YOU!!! :D

20. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    C'mon, where would we be here without all this wonderful white stuff? I'd hate being in TX or CA and have to deal with the heat and humidity ALL the time! YUCK!

Patience. Figure how long it takes to really break in strings on this new bass and the hour or two now will seem short.