1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sometimes I wonder, what is the point of it all?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Feb 11, 2016.

1. I am pretty well versed in how to set up a guitar or bass, and can answer many technical questions about how they operate.

I've even been known to help out newbies from time to time, but...

What is the point?

I would be a great sidekick if you were shopping for a new, or used, bass/guitar or amp, but otherwise I have no purpose.

I can recall standing, kneeling, and literally laying in the standby line for SNL tickets & some of the folks in there knew more about the actors of SNL than I could ever imagine.
    Some of them had apparently read all their autobiographies & could even recite lines from them.
    At the end of the day, the only place that bit of trivia was good for was in the standby line for SNL tickets.

It was their moment to shine, so they brought out the big guns.

I'm starting to feel the same way about knowing all these trivial things about guitars & bass guitars.
    It's great for a party trick, but I am reminded of that iceberg photo.

photo(20).

I guess what I need to do is stop helping others & just focus on learning the songs I want to, even though I'll be performing them for a one person audience of Yours Truly.

Farseer and murphy like this.
  2. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I assume your technical knowledge is for your own benefit first and helping someone is a secondary benefit. The SNL trivia analogy is different. Your knowledge is like the full iceburg. Theirs is mostly above water.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    But the bass stuff makes you happy right? Does helping others do it for you? So many people are in horrible places. It would be a shame for you to be unhappy. Smile.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  4. Helping others doesn't really do much for me.
    It actually ticks me off sometimes, because the recipient is too stupid to understand the advice.

Pbassmanca and Farseer like this.
  5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    You can lead a horse to water and all that. Don't let it ruin your day. If learning the technical specs side of bass guitars interests you, no shame in that. Just be careful not to collect things you can't afford. I don't see your hobby as a negative

Aberdumbie and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I have benefitted from yr advice.
    Why not ration it. Give it once, if they do not respond bin 'em, those that do respond, keep 'em

No wasted time on the wasters equals more time for you playing and non wasters.

I can't say it's the same for me with bass, but similar things happen at work, so I adopt a similar approach

7. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I know you said you blocked me, but I like helping people so I'll try anyway.

You are so relentlessly focused on the negative you rob even the good things you do of their value and destroy any joy you may have felt from doing them.

If you have helped one person allowing them through your help to realize just a bit more of their potential, you have increased the amount of good in the world and done something real that will continue to resonate and give joy to others.

But since your thoughts instantly, by habit, turn to those you think you have not been able to help, you dwell on the negative and destroy any meaning and joy contained in the act and thought of helping others.

Instead of being the funny smart guy you really are ( it shows it some of your posts ) , most of the time here your negative whining judging of other people inspires anger, creates disgust, and inspires people to be more judgmental and intolerant of others.

In effect instead of making the world more livable and pleasant you are making it less so, both in your imagination and in reality.

There are ways you can change the grooves and patterns your mind falls into, the habits of thought and feeling that have become what you think is an essential part of your self, but you refuse to admit it or believe things can be different.

So when other people give you advice or try to help, they experience the same reaction you do when you help others too 'stupid' to be helped.

They are simply being human, and when the lightbulb goes off in your head and you finally realize deep down that the things you hate in other people are the things you hate about yourself, you will be at the beginning of an interesting and exciting road that will lead you to growth as a human being, and maybe make you a happier or at least less angry and bitter man.

Right now, you seem instead to be stuck on an ugly roundabout while ignoring all the exits.

Exercise and eating well can help too, if you wanted to improve your sense of contentment.

Most of us come to consider our bad habits, the ones that keep us from succeeding and realizing our potential, as vital parts of our personality, and as positive things that we cannot live without. This is the way our minds work, to avoid the harsher fact that we are too lazy or afraid to change. But it's just a handy lie we pull out to be able to live with a reduced version of ourselves.

If you can read this I honestly wish you luck. If I met you in real life I would probably not become a friend as I refuse to be around complainers and whiners, and negative people who turn everything to crap. I only have a few decades left on earth if I'm lucky and I refuse to make them miserable.

Because my friends are similar, they are the first to tell me to STFU when I start bitching and moaning over nothing. It helps because I realize how I am affecting others, and takes my mind if my own petty self to become open to them and their presence, which is why I'm spending time with them in the first place.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find more meaning and thus more joy in your life.

/\/\3phist0, OEW3, Inkdork and 18 others like this.
  8. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Gotta say, Superfreak, if you want to carry on moaning about stuff it's fine with me.
    That locked thread from yesterday had me laughing all day long.
    I get where you're coming from.
    I work with quite a few people that I wonder how they can manage to get up in the morning.
    Instead of being annoyed with them for doing odd stuff, I find their quirks to have a certain charm.
    It helps that I will take the piss out of them all day long but it does make the day go quicker.
    As you were.

Pbassmanca and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Things got a bit deep for me up there, it's 6-7am here and I am emotionally quite shallow, it made my head hurt.

Mate, you gotta play the game win or lose, and stop being a soft lad with emotional poopie this early, I may start developing actual boobs on top of my man boobs and wanting to watch romcoms

10. I had a first-degree black belt in Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do at a young age. I learned the katas, excelled at remembering them and sparring, and of course got that belt. When you get that belt, they have you train folks, and train folks, and train folks, and spar folks, and train folks, at least that is how they did me.

I quit...cause I saw no benefit to myself anymore, and the truth is I benefitted greatly in more subtle ways for teaching those I was tasked to teach.

By now (probably approaching 20 years since I took karate) I've forgotten almost everything besides the basics and the beginning of this one kata that I can't forget.

I keep a happy medium of doing for me and doing for others I think. I happy do more for others than myself, but when I do, I DO haha.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Well it does give you a reason to bitch and isn't that what ultimately makes you happy? What was that saying? A bitching sailor is a happy sailor?

12. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA

13. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Our lives are extremely meaningless when you think of the universe and time. We all die and are eventually forgotten. Don't care so much. Have fun, even if you have to force it.

zon6c-f, Atshen and Killed_by_Death like this.
  14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Since we only live in the here and now, why not make our lives meaningful during this span? The past is gone, the future ours to write by the way we live the present.

That's my personal philosophy and it's all I've got, but it's plenty enough for me. Living in the present is its own reward.

Stumbo, zon6c-f, Atshen and 1 other person like this.
  15. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    After much anguish and loathing I finally have come to learn how to do the intonation on all 4 strings. Had a little help from the guys in a Bass Facebook page. If you are any good at it you can post an add doing set ups or even better give lessons on how to do them.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    if you want people on this forum to respect you for your knowledge on basses, don't make them wade through fashion and grammar lessons to glean your knowledge.

17. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Reality check.

I think all of these posts are only a small part serious. When they are actually meant as something more like a George Carlin routine. The only time @Super_Freak is being a bit more serious is when he points out someone asking hime to stop posting.

If you look at his high Like count vs post count you see the motivation. There are a handful of people that would prefer less OT and don't hesitate to say so and apparently a lot more people that enjoy these OT posts.

He has said plenty of times that he is generally quite content IRL. So maybe, just maybe it's the handful of detractors that take things too seriously.

18. $hit just got real!

This is an awesome post, @One Drop and if it doesn't help @Super_Freak , it should help some others, myself included. I constantly work to redirect my thoughts, retrain my brain, and replace bad habits with good. A constant challenge.

Hopefully the OP will see it as a result of the quote at least, and might take the time to read it.

JLY and One Drop like this.
  19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

One Deop mentioned blocking. I know a lot have blocked me. Fine. I block no one. I think the ignore function is for people that can't move on and shake hands; it approaches cowardice. Drop your ignores, get back in, mix it up a little and don't get ad hominem about it.

I will say though that a lot of advice on the setup forum should be excised by the mods because it's just incorrect. Smart advice gets lost in a cacauphony of nonsense. For example the recent thread where op bass is fretting put and one guy suggested lowering the pickups. Really? Really.

Super, don't take yourself seriously. It's not good for your psyche.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    DanAleks likes this.
  20. Well, FWIW, the Feces Book groups are far worse. Good advice is countered with haughty derision & a claim of having superior knowledge.
    At least on here you can usually pick out the crackpots, but then again, maybe the newbs can't.

I don't, which is why I post here. If I ever really just wanted to call it quits, I wouldn't utter a peep & just sell all my gear in one fell swoop, then disconnect from all the gear forums.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016