Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sometimes, it would be nice to not play bass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sonorous, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, you heard me. Yes I love bass, but sometimes I think it would be neat to be super ignorant. Then whenever I heard a bass solo I could say something like "Whoa! That was sugarberry awesome!"

Mod edit: all profanity must be FULLY masked, not just enough to get by the language filters.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't ever get jaded. The day you stop being able to say "wow, that was sugarberry awesome" is the day something needs to change. Learn a new instrument, listen to new people, try new things. Heck, you might just want to put down the bass for a week. Don't listen to any Jaco, Wooten, etc for a week. Separate yourself from all things bass for a week. After that week, you will have a new respect and outlook on everything.

Mod edit for profanity AGAIN, Nick you should know better!!!!!!!!!

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Actually, I'm in Colorado right now and have been for 2 weeks, have 1 more week to go. I wasn't able to bring my bass.

But I think you got the wrong idea. I still love bass, and I can still go "Wow, that was awesome." I probably should've said

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh.... you're screwed. ;)

5. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Personally, music and live shows are a LOT more enjoyable to me now that I have some small amount of knowledge. It helps me to appreciate things I would have otherwise never heard/seen and I find myself a lot more in tune (har har) with the show than previously.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Everyone is getting the wrong idea. Bleh, I'm unsubscribing to my own thread.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Be careful what you wish for.

8. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    This happened to me on guitar so I picked up the bass.

But I love the bass too much to let it happen here.

9. Where in Colorado ?

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    well sort of. bass definitely isn't the best instrument in the world, it's my favorite. there is not best though, even between bass and guitar. i definitely think it's cool if people know different ****.

11. anyone want to buy a banjo?

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Do you really have a banjo to sell?

If so, you could PM me and we could discuss it.

13. sorry no. my wife would shoot me if i sold the first instrument i serenaded her with.

14. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's very romantic. I don't blame her for marrying you.

15. oh, it wasn't romantic at all. kinda gross really.

but thanks!

16. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    "Gross can be romantic," replied the fat, bald man that wouldn't know romance if it marched into the room at the head of a band singing "Hey, I'm romance!" at the top of it's voice while accompanying itself on kazoo.

You're welcome, though. :D

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Littleton.

18. Thats not far from me at all, you should come down to Colorado Springs, it would be cool to meet a fellow TB'er.
    You could catch my band and critique my playing all you wanted - ha ha ha, I have thick skin and would appreciate an honest opinion from a knowlegeable source, as anyone that takes his (or her) playing seriously should.

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm leaving on Sunday, I've already been here for two weeks. Tomorow I'm going rafting. Friday I'm going rock climbing. I might be open Saturday though.

Last night I went to watch this band called "The Painkillers" practice at the singers house (he's friends with my aunt). The bassists name was Brian Fassel. He played with the Allman Brothers Band for about a year in the early 80s. Didn't record any albums though. He was excellent. A very nice guy too, he even played "Portrait of Tracy" for me.