1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sometimes the Music Gods Smile on you.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldSchoolBass, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Started playing with this band a few months back. After years of inactivity and a divorce, my eqiupment was sold in a most sad way..

That said! I was mentioning looking around for a cabinet to go with my Hartke HA3000 to my drummer. He mentioned a guy he works with said he had bass eqipment in an old storage garage and hasn't touched in 10 years. I tempered my enthusiasm, as I was told about an old Ampeg 4x12 and a 2x15 B25B cabinet, an ampeg head and an acoustic head.

Then I saw them. After 10 years, the dust has really taken up residence on all the stuff. But under the muck was:

Acoustic 270 head (reverb, delay all operational)
    Ampeg SVT head - 1970's
    Ampeg 4 x 12 w/ handle and wheels
    Ampeg 2 x 15 w/ handle and wheels

The heads need to be opened up and cleaned BIG TIME. The hum and fuzz and crackle from the dust and muck is rather annoying. Did some minor cleaning and the sound cleaned up. I am overhauling it over the holiday weekend.

How much did I pay for it all?

$300

I am in happy land. :hyper:

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Be careful.
    Perfectly good working amps can go poof upon turning them on after sitting in storage for 10 years due to the capacitors drying up.

3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I hate you.

4. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Nice score. I would recommend making a drive up to the Edison, NJ area and having Denis Kager give those amps a good look-over. Congrats!!!

5. THAT IS AN AWESOME FIND...AND LIKE MILKGAG....YES, I HATE YOU TOO!

6. Got ya.. Poof = :crying: They seem to be operating ok, but like I mentioned, the dust is wreaking some havoc. I have a can o' dust, as well as some gentle cleaning stuff to see if I can pretty em up and get the gunk off the fan and what not. The capacitors can be replaced? (sorry, I don't know much about amps..) Like I said, I am doing a complete cleaning, especially the fan, it is really covered.

Man, the Ampeg head is HEAVY! Yikes. Need :help: carrying it!!

7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    nice!

i hate you!

8. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I'll give you $350.00 for the lot and make sure they get cleaned up.

Of course I will need to see pictures first.

No worries mon! :D

9. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    take the svt to a tech pronto, and have him give it a once over and probably a good set of new tubes. probably won't cost too much.

and i hate you!

10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    pics!

11. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    I feel compelled to add my name to the list of those that hate you. :D :D

I don't care how much work that SVT needs, you got an insane deal. Wow. Congrats! :bassist:

[​IMG]

12. Wow, I've never been so hated in all my life!!! :hyper: :bag:

Thanks - I will keep you posted regarding the refurb process!

13. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Nice score.

I used a 70's SVT into a '70s B25 back in the early to mid 80's. It sounded great, and the tone set me apart from every else's SVT rig. Only took a couple of gigs to destroy the original speakers though. They were replaced by EVM15L drivers, which took the punishment for several years until I retired the rig.

TNP

14. I will snap a few with the camera phone when I get home and figure out how the heck to post em!

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was on the receiving end of a deal similar to that... feels good, dunnit? Congratulations. :cool:

16. The 2 x 15 has new EV's - assume the old ones went caput! The 4 x 12's are all original.

17. It does!! :) I am usually on the other end - when I unloaded my stuff after my divorce, it was one of the most depressing times of my life.. I figure I would never reclaim that stuff for a crazy price... Everytime I saw a similar item, it was WAY out of my range.. And my range is um, real SMALL. :crying:

18. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    For the small amount you invested in this Killer old-school rig it would be wise to take it to a pro and have him give it the once-over . You'll thank yourself later when it DOESN'T fail on a gig . :smug:

19. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    ok, what does one have to sacrifice to said music gods to recieve such a blessing ?

goats/children/virgins? c'mon gimme a hint here !

SM

20. wow, now that is lucky. i wish i had your luck!