Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sometimes ya just gotta stand up and be passive-aggressive...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Mar 27, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Arrrgh! I'm sick and tired of learning songs for my cheezy cover band only to have them fade away without ever getting worked into the set. I don't mind it when they're songs I don't like so much, but it irks me when I work up songs I'd like to do, that took me more than 60 seconds to learn - Moondance comes to mind and most recently Smooth by Santana/Rob Thomas.

The same guy to weasel out of both of these songs was very keen to work up yet another Allman Brothers/Gov't Mule song at practice today (Rockin' Horse). I've yet to see a song of theirs he wouldn't be willing to learn, no matter how complex and challenging.

Well, we'll just see how long it takes the old bass player to learn that one, eh... ;)

BTW - just sharing a bit of humor - lest anyone think I'm suggesting that this is an effective, functional strategy for dealing with band issues! ;)

:D

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Wow, I thought I was the only one!

I rememeber when I spent ages learning spirit crusher by death, then we didnt even bother to practice it at all.
    Which reminds me of the time that I learnt all of cannibal corpses hammer smashed face...we didnt practice that once.
    And this one time when I learnt Ozzy Osbounre's My jekkyl doesn't hide and we didnt play that one at all.
    Oh, and the time I learnt aces high by Iron maiden, we got the song down as a band (no singer) then didnt bother to play it again.

:spit:

3. When I first joined my band, the singer would mention a song and I'd have it down pat by the next rehearsal, before the rest of the band even knew that we were doing it. Naturally, 3 months later, my (soon-to-be-former-oh-how-I-will-celebrate-that-day) drummer STILL doesn't know how to play it.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, frustrating indeed, but the way I look at it - every song I learn makes me a better, more rounded player. Keep that glass half full, not half empty . . .