Sometimes you catch a break (long personal rant inside)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chasarms, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    About 15 or 16 years ago, when I was playing out 150 nights a year or so, I bought a brand new Ampeg SVT 200T head and two SVT115 cabinets to replace my all tube SVT and 810 that was getting too expensive to keep running.

It didn't have that nice, fuzzy tube sound like the original, but the amp was a workhorse and sounded absolutely awesome to me. Very warm for a SS amp and with both 15s going, it was stupid loud at 350 Watts RMS.

When I got my first newspaper job out of J school, I moved to another city and stopped playing out regularly. Money got tight and I got rid of it.

Ever since then, that amp has been the sound that I have measured bass tone against. I have played a ton of nice amps, but to me, that was the measuring stick. The Ampeg and the 15s had a fat but mellow tone that I could manipulate all I wanted with my fingers and an occasional tweak of the bass's tone knob.

Anyway, at the time I knew this, but had long since forgotten that the amp ended up in the hands of one of my best friends for use in his recording studio.

He's now 700 miles from me but we have always kept in touch. He's an awesome drummer, but we just haven't talked music that much in the past decade. The amp never came up even once that I recall.

He knows I again have regular, dedicated gigs.

Anyway, we have been in touch much more as of late since is he is going through a very painful divorce. I have made every effort to be supportive, and I truly am worried about him and his family.

Anyway, a few days ago, two huge boxes showed up at my house. One was one of the 115s and the other was the head with a note that said he didn't have much storage space and he knew that I would get use out of it. And sorry, he had sold the other cabinet years ago, as it wasn't needed in the studio.

Wow! I am saddened by the circumstances, but since getting this amp back, I just can't stop playing. It has definitely renewed my interest in EBG, which has wained very much in the past several months.

It's funny how things work out like that.
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Wow! I think that is a great story. Sounds like he is a great guy.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sorry about your friend, but I'm glad you got your old gear back. It's also interesting that you still like it as much as you used to... sometimes time gives us rose-colored glasses.

FWIW: since switching to fiver, I no longer miss any of the fours I used to own. :D Actually, I sometimes get to play the four I missed the most: a 1964 P-bass now owned by my brother. As for amps: I miss my vintage SVT rig, but I don't miss dragging it around. :eek: