1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Somewhat embarrassing FT/FS Feeler: Orange Terror Bass 500.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Idiot Savon, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    It sounded better at the store. That's it. She has about a half hour of use, and I don't play hockey with my gear. I also switch tube amps to Standby before just flailing away.
    Now, if I can magically refine the EQ settings of this wonderfully simple amp, and get the tone I'm looking for, I'll lock this thread and live with my shame.
    I'm looking for $732 plus shipping (I paid $899 plus tax, and I live in CT) or another micro head (Aguilar TH500, GK, GB, or other micros over 500W preferred) and something to make up the difference (make an offer; I'm listening.)
    Yes, I am as embarrassed as you'd think.
    Pics to follow later, but she's pristine. The only thing missing is a box. You can still register it for a warranty. Also, the power cable is factory, too.
    Stop laughing at me and make an offer.
    EDIT: If you have an Aguilar ToneHammer 500 with a gig bag and cables, I will trade straight. If you have a GB Shuttlemax 900 or higher, I will trade straight. If you have a great combo, I will make up the difference. If you know how to make this thing sound more like an Aggie, I will give you a dollar...>8)X

Attached Files:

2. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Here's the view from the OTHER side.

Attached Files:

3. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Still trying to get the hang of this thing, so she's still available...

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Do yourself a favor and roll the tubes in the pre amp. Makes a world of difference.

5. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    I'd thought about that or trying a 12au7...or trying to trade for a TH500, GK MB, Shuttle, or Streamliner.
    Any insights into which tubes the Orange amps like?

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/orange-tb500-957816/

I tried several in mine during a rehearsal. It annoyed the hell out of my band band i could hear the difference in a band setting which was useful. I'd have to look to be sure but I think I have a Tung Sol gold pin ECC803S in V2 and a Russian Electro Harmonix in V1. I could be wrong. I had around 7 or 8 to choose from but some made a big difference some not much at all.

I really believe the Terror bass is an amazing amp. It is well worth the time to tweak it. And keep in mind it's the kind of amp that sounds good on it's own but sounds amazing in the mix.

You can buy a mix of 12AX7's on ebay for pretty cheap and test for yourself. You don't have to spend big bucks on tubes though. I've owned a version of the other heads you're looking at with the exception of the Aguilar and I much prefer the combination of warmth and punch I get with my orange.

YMMV.

And sorry for the thread hijack. I just really like my Orange a whole lot.:)

7. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Not a problem! Want a backup? >8)X

8. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Banned

Jan 22, 2011
    Mass
    Bump!...Awesome Deal!

9. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Thanks, Jeff! Still available, getting some great offers! Also, if your amp is worth more than mine, I WILL add cash/gear!

10. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Monday morning bump!

11. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Trade pending!

12. IglooBass

IglooBass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Easton, PA.
    You have a PM ...

13. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Saw that! If it falls through, I'll let everybody know.

14. Idiot Savon

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    ..and she's on her way to sunny California, in exchange for a GB SM12!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.