1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Somewhere between insanity and genius lies...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by lorianb, Apr 3, 2013.

1. lorianb

lorianb

Apr 10, 2011
    Ottawa
    this :

:ninja:

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I closed the window at 5:00. :eyebrow:

She sure can play, but let's just say that my ears are not developed enough to understand her 'music'. :rollno:

3. I think it's really friggin cool. Gotta go, will listen to the rest tonight.

4. What a name ! I love her, Joelle rules !

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm pretty sure I remember having the 1st movement of this piece down at the age of 3.

I guess you can put me down as one of the ones who just "don't get it"

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That was interesting...

7. You missed the best part, when she starts singing along!

To me the whole thing kind of seemed like what it would sound like if you put a bass in the gorilla cage at the zoo. (IMHO.)

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    yeah, I can enjoy a composition where some tiny bits of these noises, 'techniques', etc are use for effect but the whole piece...:rollno:

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    OMG! I'm happy I missed it. :D

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Joelle is an acquired taste for sure.

She has decades of history playing "modern" classical music as well as free improv. Like all musicians working in that area, you really have to be willing to sample enough of her music to see if there's something more, um, grounded that you might like :meh:

11. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  12. lorianb

lorianb

Apr 10, 2011
    Ottawa
    Just to be clear : I wasn't being facetious. I really dig this **** and that is why I posted it. For those asserting that this music is zoophilous in nature, I would say that there were strong negative reactions to Jackson Pollock at a certain time also. Today, he is revered as a quintessential abstract expressionist.

13. I was serious when I said I like it. It does occasionally get dangerously close to being melodic though. :D

I can see why it wouldn't be for everybody.

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    From 4:30 intense