Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Somewhere to play fanned fret bass in oz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jow83, Jul 15, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    After seeing a lot of cool pic on here I am interested in trying one of these out before i buy my bass in a few months, I know people say as long as you don't think about it too much you'll be fine but i'd really like to tryone rather then order from america without playing on first.

does anyone knwo of a place in australia that stocks fanned fret basses? preferably in sydney?

major dingwall gas atm.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No suggestions, but something to fuel your GAS.

[​IMG]

Taken a few weeks ago...

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    What's exactly is the point of fanned frets? I never really got told..

4. Platypibri

Platypibri Technician, Kaman Music

Jun 28, 2005
    Riverside, CA
    In simplest terms, it allows you to have scale lengths optimized for the pitch of each string. The B in particular benefits as the much longer scale length of gives the note a piano like boom unlike any bass you have ever heard. Major GAS producer.

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    if you check out the picture, look at the bridge and look at the nut. You'll see that because they're slanted, each string has a different scale length. The low B is a 37 inch scale, and the G string is a 34 inch scale. What this does is gives more tension to the low strings, balancing them across the fretboard...also, because the strings are longer, they're voiced differently, clean and clear and tight down low were many basses can get undefined and flabby.

The frets must be fanned, to match the scale length of each string.

6. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    something i have wondered is do fanned fret basses use normal strings?

if the low strings are really boomy does this mean they are less articulate when played fast?

burningskies that is one nice bass and rig :) (pretty drum kit too) how long have you been playing fanned fert basses for? and did you find it hard to adjust?

edit: one more question, how would a four string dingwall hold up to being drop c# tuned (ie C#G#C#F# tuning)? my strings are quite flabby as it is (obviously) will the different string lengths and more defined low end show through when tuned down, obviously it will be less defined then having it tuned to E, but will the fanned frets still give added clarity down there?

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    well, yes and no. Luckily Dingwall sells his own strings, which are designed specifially for these basses. There are a few really long scale bass strings that will fit (I know DR makes a set that will fit.

They're not really boomy, in fact, they're not boomy at all. Because the added string length means more string tension, they're very clear and clean sounding. You get good low end response, but it's very focused. The string tension is more even across the board than a regular 34 or 35 scale, so you get a faster playing B, E, and A string. I love mine for the fact that I CAN play quicker on those low strings than a 'standard' bass. It really has a very playable B string. I find this bass is more responsive across the board than any of my other basses. Notes are quicker to open up.

Yeah, that drum kit is a looker. If'n you believe our drummer it's a custom one off kit. Someday he'll learn how to play it. ;)
    I've only been playing that one for a few months now...but its become the ONLY bass I play. The fanned frets took less than a minute to adjust to. Not an exaggeration. I had more difficulty getting used to the 5th string, since this was the first 5 I own, and I've played 4's for 20+ years. As an illustration of how easy it was to get used to, It showed up at my door at 5pm on a Thursday night, and I played it for a set on Saturday night. When looking down at the neck, from playing perspective I can hardly tell the frets aren't paralell.

You'd probably be good with the 4 string. I can't quote exact scale numbers, but your F# would be a 34 inch scale, so your C# would be longer than a 35 inch scale, making longer than most low B's in popular production.

Overall, it's a great bass. The pickups are great, and I really like the simplicity of the control layout and the fact that you can get a diverse array of tones from them...and it plays like a mofo. REALLY. There are a couple little negatives, but the positives waaaaaay outweigh those.

If you have specific questions, you should ask Sheldon or post to the Dingwall group on Yahoo. Someone there just bought a 4 string afterburner.

8. the same place that stocks cellinders and kubickis, they may have fodera's as well ;) ......so, nowhere..unless you're extremely lucky and find a 2nd hand one

9. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    thanks dude you rule, I might do that. I have a couple of months to think about it but dingwall are definatly high on the shortlist atm.