somthing thats been bugging me

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SyntaxError, Nov 25, 2004.

1. SyntaxError

Sep 24, 2003
    recently I've been jamming with these two other guitar players. They just bought a set of cheap drums, When we "jam" the one guitar player is always on the drums, [he is the most experienced musician] the other guy couldn't play drums to save his life.

Usually we start off with a cover song or two, but there arent too many songs the "drummer" knows how to play. A lot of the time he will be drumming somthing or another, and I'll try to groove along with it, but he's constantly changing time signatures/Tempo/Drum grooves, He's never playing the same thing for more than 45 seconds. It's nearly impossible to get anything done.

Since these are the first two guys I've ever 'Jammed' with I was wondering if it was common practice for drummers to just pound away like that. I was under the impression that when people get together they would usually pick a key and a tempo, then try to copme up with somthing interesting...
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    No; that's definately NOT how it's supposed to go. You're right.

You mentioned the importance of 'grooving along', and from the sound of it, this 'drummer' doesn't know what that means! I can't help but wonder if you'd have the same problem with him on guitar (?).

So this being your first jamming experience, just wait til you get the experience of working with a good drummer - it's dreamy, Man.

Maybe this is good practice for you, so just keep trying to snap into a groove for as long as he'll let you - but remember that when you're able to play with a drummer that's thinking like you are, you're going to love it. Then you'll be a REAL rhythm section!

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    dont waste your time with tempo changers- because at some point it's too fast to play the bassline you wrote with the intentions of it being at a slower pace- and then you cant hang and you mess up and no one has fun. tell him to practice and call you in a year or two and find another drummer or something. drummers are your metronome. if i had a faulty metronome i'd throw it away because it is absolutely worthless.
  4. SyntaxError

Sep 24, 2003
    acctually yes, I have the same problem when they are both on guitars... the dude who usually plays the drums is basicly a mini-malmsteen (sp? dont give the guy enough respect to correctly spell his name anyway) when we "jam" he is usually showing off some sweep picking or some other flashy crap... again, nothing gets done.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now, the jam space is shared with a dozen other musicians, and they all pay rent... I was going to buy some great gear and move it in with them. I think I'll hold off and see how this turns out after a few months.
  5. ...Sounds like the "typical obnoxious guitarist"...perhaps on day they will realize that a group is supposed to play "together".(I hope no guitarists are on here!) :rollno:
  6. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Whenever I jam with my drummer, we are constantly changing, but we are both ready for it. The only difference is that I'm playing with a person that plays drums as his main instrument, not a guitar playing drummer.

Maybe he has ADD?

But I suggest felling it out before you get rid of this experience.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Sounds like an unlucky way to get into playing with other musicians. I lucked out and landed feet first into a pile of good drummers (school jazz band, quartet and a trio with the same guy, a band with another one, and occasional jams with two others). The one I'm doing all the jazz stuff with and I jam all the time, and during the jams, we shift all the time, but it's usually due to the natural progression of the music. The other day he started off a jazz-funk beat and I started funkin' around in a B phrygrian, and over the course of about 15 minutes or so, we covered dirty nasty funk, traditional jazz, a little bit of Dream Theatre stuff, and ended on some latin grooves. Changing the way the music's going is a good thing, but it should come naturally as the way music (as a breathing, evolving entity) grows because of the chemistry between two musicians. Doesn't sound like you and the drummer/mini-Malmsteem have too much chemistry, unfortunately, but it can take a while to find a good drummer -- I'm just uber-lucky.
  8. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I've got a drummer friend who plays just like that. He's a GREAT drummer, has great time and is very comfortable on the kit. But he can't keep the same beat for more than 30 seconds without getting bored and changing. Then he'll try some crazy Buddy Rich single stroke snare fill and if he doesn't get it perfect, he'll stop. It's really frustrating when you have a good groove and a drummer just stops dead...

Maybe you can jam with one of the other dozen musicians in your practice spot who actually plays drums as his main instrument. Then you'll know how easy it is to groove with the right drummer. Good luck!
  9. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    That is definitely your problem. You have a non drummer playing drums.

The guy has a meter problem or he has a serious attention defecit problem. This is common for new / inexperienced drummers.

A funny thing will happen. When you call him on his constant meter problem he will blame the bass player. Trust me...Get a metronome and set the light to blink during the jam.
  10. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    lol- from my experience- tell the newfound drummer to stop using crystal meth.
  11. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    If you got a guitarist that wont shut up with frickin solos all the time then you gotta learn how to solo on bass, its what i did in my last band, not only does it improve your own technique and give you confidence you now have a way to shut the GIT-arist up!