Son of Bertha/Golliath Jr stack experiences for hard rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurt M., Apr 30, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

I'm currently playing a Genz Benz 410XB through an Ampeg SVT3. I've recently picked up a Golliath Jr III 2/10. I'm thinking of pairing it with the Son of Bertha? Anybody playing hard rock and running this stack? Do they actually stack? Seems I remember seeing them in a music store and they didn't fit one on top of the other. I've found a bunch of info in past threads but am looking for people running this combo or a better one? I've also considered the Bagend S15BD (S15B didn't cut it) with 2/10 (actually sounded nice with Eden). Was thinking about Acme until everybody said NO for hard rock. I'm trying to kick up the low end without loosing punch or volume. I'll also be switching to a QSC PLX 1602 or 2402 if everyone thinks the 1602 isn't up to the task.

Thoughts from those who like it low and loud??

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got the SOB/Goliath III Jr. combo that's worked great in the loud rock bands I've played in. I power them with either an Ampeg B2R (350 watt of loud and clear solid state tone) or an old Mesa/Boogie Bass 400 (300 tube watts, gloriously fat and detailed sounding) and use a 4 string EB/MM StingRay and a 5 string fretless Peavey Cirrus. I don't play hellishly loud but the cabs have put out good sound in rehearsals and gigs, large and small, inside and out.

I compared these cabs to Trace Elliot, Genz Benz, Carvin, Eden, G-K, and Ampeg when I was shopping and I liked them the best. I'm not altogether sure I like the sound of SWR heads but their cabs sound good to me and they're compact and relatively light-important considerations since my knees are tweaked and I've got a 2-door Tercel.

Just last weekend a bass playing buddy of mine borrowed the Boogie/SOB/GJr. setup for a jazzy funk gig at a medium-sized bar. There was a bit of bass in the PA but most of the sound came from my rig and it sounded great.

The only drawback to the setup is that I prefer the sound of both cabs together to either one on its own-but since I'm mostly playing jazz these days, that's not practical. The cabs are the same width and they stack together just fine. I'd recommend about 400 watts per cab if you're using a solid state power amp.

If you like the sound of the 2x10 the SOB makes a great partner. I used to have the small Bag End 15 cab and while it fills a small room nicely, it's definitely not as big-sounding as the SOB. I thought the SOB was way better than the Eden 15 I tried, which sounded slow, peaky and harsh. I haven't tried the new breed of gourmet cabs (Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifani, Accugroove, etc.) but IMHO the SOB is a very good cab.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've got a goliath jr + triad, both 4 ohm, and it's facking loud.

in hindsight, if i would have gotten an 8 ohm goliath jr and an 8 ohm son of bertha my rig would be louder (the SOB is more efficient than the triad, and i could bridge all 1000 watts into my speakers instead of 350 x2.

it's a great rig, just make sure you get both 8 ohm ones.
  4. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

Thanks for taking the time. I still don't get how they would stack because the dimensions are different. As I remember in the music shop the stackable corners didn't line up right and the 15 was definately deeper than the 2/10. Guess we'll see. Like I said I only have the 2/10.

Glad to hear you like the SWR over the BagEnd. I was so disappointed when I heard the BagEnd S15D alone. After all the hype on this site I expected it to slam. It didn't. But when I added the 10's it was more to my liking. Maybe I'm just to used to 10's. I think the SOB would be a good addition since I already have the GJr3.

I do play loud and your suggestion of 400W per cab rules out the PLX 1602 (unless I bridge it). I'd have to opt for the 2402 which puts 425W into each 8 ohm cab.

Thanks again.
  5. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

Man you get around. OK guess you're gonna end up helping me with all aspects of my new rig.

I actually had the Triad for a short time. Didn't like it but then again I now feel that I didn't have enough power to get it cooking. I'm looking for cabs that sound right in a rock or hard rock atmosphere. The horns on the SWR are a little hissy but that isn't a big deal considering all the noise we make.

I'd be interested in what you could offer on bridging. I can save about $200 by getting the QSC PLX 1602. Stereo it's 300W/side into 8 ohms (a little thin). Bridged it is 1600W into 4 ohms (2 eight ohm cabs). The whole preamp/power amp thing is new to me. I'm concerned because when I bridge I wouldn't be able to control the 15 vs the 2/10. If they don't match just right I'm sunk. Thougts?

My next question is what preamp to get but I know your answer on that topic.

6. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I tried emailing you twice on the inquiries about my Acmes and both emails came back as undeliverable for some reason. So I'll answer your question here since it is kind of related.
    I did return the Acmes. They sounded perfect for what I wanted....everything from a crisp low B to some screeching harmonics plus they were compact/light and looked fantastic. I just fell short on volume. My amp was "just" clipping with 500 watts to each cabinet. My band is pretty loud with a hard hitting drummer and two Marshall 100 watt 1/2 stacks so maybe they might work for your situation.
    The SWR rig sounds like it might be a good alternative for you....I'm going with a Mesa Diesel 2x10 and a 1x15 so I'll have about the same thing and I'm sure that will suffice volume wise and still have the portability.
    For a power amp I would spend the extra $$$$ and get as much power as you can reasonably afford. Having the extra power may seem unnecessary but it gives you more clean headroom which makes the lows stronger and adds clarity even at lower volumes....the amp doesn't have to work as hard. Plus you may want to run more cabs someday and you'll have the power to do so already. The amp you mentioned sounds fine though (it's about the same as I mine and I've never been short on power.......until the Acmes :mad: )
    I have an Ampeg SVP-Pro for a preamp and love it but check out the SWR Grand Prix, Sansamp RBI, Aguilar and Demeter preamps before laying out the cash.
  7. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

The setup your looking at will work great I use a goliath III and a big bertha but I dropped to just the bertha cause at 2.6 ohms it was real loud and made you have to pee,{big bottom} I use a 750 but most new amps will drop to handle the load, if a cut is what your looking for the 15 and 10s will do it, also the cabinets will fit stacked good luck,
  8. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

I got your mail. Thanks. I'm keeping up with 2 Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier half stacks. Actually the one guitar player has been using a full stack lately. Looks like I'll be springing for the QSC PLX 2402 instead of the 1602. This should keep me on the safe side.

Now all I have to do is find a deal on the Son of Bertha.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Kurt M.-someone is selling an SOB in the "For Sale" classifieds here on TB-for $500. $375-$400 is pretty much the going rate I've seen for used SOB's-a good rule of thumb when buying used gear is to start at 2/3 of the actual new price (I see SOB's at Guitar Center for $600) and work your way downward depending on age/condition.
  10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hey Kurt!

Congrats on narrowing down the rig choices.

I'm pretty sure the SOB stacks with the Jr. At leaset it seems to at Guitar Center.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on SOB/2x10 vs. 2x10/2x10. I chose the later, of course.

Re: QSC1602 vs. 2402. I run 2 8ohm Jr.s that I run bridge mono for 1600W into both of them, and 1100 into one. Obviously, I never give them more than about 1/3 of my available juice. If I had it to do over again, I would probably just shell out the $200 and do the stereo thing, although it's fine the way it is.

I tell you, the headroom makes such a HUGE difference. The svt3 sounds like serious pooh in comparison.

Another thought re: SWR cabs. I think they are nice, full range bassy cabs (a bit scooped/colored). While I think they sound awesome and are portable, someone could argue they are a bit modern/sterile. I think a good tube preamp can go a long way in warming up the sound. I'm using the Aguilar659 and it seems to do the trick.

The 5 tubes in the svt-pro you're planning on using should do the trick very nicely.
  11. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hey Wally,

Yeah I know you're running two Jr's. I'm just thinking adding a 15 might give my sound a little more grunt in the low area. I'd like to A/B the 2 Jr combo against the 1 Jr/SOB myself. As far as the QSC goes I think I will shell out for the 2402 and run stereo because that way if the 2/10 1s a bit loud compared to the 15 I can control it. Bridging won't allow me to compensate for differences in volume between the two cabs. Less of an issue for you as both your cabs should put out about the same level I would think. As far as the Ampeg pre goes. I haven't made a final decision yet. I feel that Ampgeg does a pretty good job for hardrock. Also, I'm already spending way more than I planned. I think the Aguilar is a bit pricey. Allthough I'd really like to hear it. I'm not sure if it would have the growl I'm looking for. You'd know that better than me. I'm really looking forward to getting the whole rig together. I'm anxious to see if it solves my problems or if I end up spending a lot of money and only make a little progress.