Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Son of Bertha

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Jul 2, 2002.

1. I need a new speaker cab about as much as I need a hole in the head,but I found a SWR Son Of Bertha 115 cab for too good a price.I'm thinking that it might sound good for my B-string with my Eden 210s.Anyone have/used one of these? Likes-dislikes?It'll probably get sold before I can put any money on it but I'd like opinions.

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    It's tight and it pumps on the low B, is what I hear from people who own it. Never tried it out, personally, though. But I say you're in pretty good direction if you're looking at 18" cabs of that quality. Try out an Eden 18 before you make your decision though.

3. I think the Son of Bertha is a great cabinet. I use it with an Aguilar GS 112. I can only compare it to the other 15s I tried: Ampeg Classic, Mesa Boogie, Genz Benz. Out of these, the Son of Bertha easily sounded the best, and is also the most compact and lightest, (I think). I say go for it.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the SOB is a 15, not an 18. the 18 is the Big Ben, Big Bohn. ;)

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    whoops, warwick5s, you caught me. well like confucius say, "Man who stand on toilet is high on pot."

:oops: :D

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have an SOB that I use with an SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10. Though I'm not crazy about the SWR tweeter sound (too harsh for my tastes, mine are rolled almost all the way off) the SOB has a deep, quick, tight sound that projects well. Plus it weighs only 60 pounds and fits in the back seat of my 2-door Tercel.

I tried Carvin, Eden, Genz Benz, GK, and Trace Elliot 1x15's before buying and the SOB sounded the best by far to my ears. I also like the small Bag End 15 but it's pretty much useless for outdoor gigs.

7. Thanks guys.If it's still there Saturday I think I'll get it.

8. The SOB is a great sounding cab. I got one to add to my Goliath III. I needed more bullocks in my sound. It sounds great by itself, too, since you can still get the highs with the tweeter.

9. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I recently purchased the SOB and the Golliath Jr to use as a stack. The SOB is nice in many respects. Built well, looks good, light and sounds pretty decent. The Golliath is probably going to get sold. I cant STAND the hissy tweet on the thing. I know the SOB has the same tweet. The tweet hiss in the SOB isn't as bothersome because it's lower in the stack. The Eden 2/10 is pretty nice. The only other cab I might end up getting for the bottom was the Bag End S15BD. That cab had some great bottom.

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i generally attenuate my tweeters all the way down (barely above 0)

where are you keeping yours?

11. Picked up the SOB Wednsday.It really sounds good by itself.I got it to add bottom to my 210XLTs(they don't really need it)but was suprised at how clean it sounds by itself.I almost prefer the tweeter on the SWR to the Edens.With the tweeter off the SWR doesn't sound near as sweet.I'm going to have to try this cab by itself some time.I found it in a Music go Round for $250 and its in great shape so I couldn't pass it up.