1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Song by my band, we boast having a unique sound, are we liars?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Apr 27, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    This was recorded during rehearsal and then touched up a bit in Cubase. We intend to use this and another couple of songs to apply for a festival this summer.

The bass sound isn't as good as we would've liked, I only recently started getting into effects and was smitten by our mixing wizard for using too much compression and switching between patches with noticeably different volumes which made EQing me hell. I honestly thought I had adjusted them well enough but the more you know, one more caveat when dealing with effects, I guess. :meh:
    On the other hand, I had no idea he was going for such a perfectionist approach, I thought we were going for a "live"-ish sound.

I really have no idea how to describe the music we play, some kind of alternative rock with heavy guitars and synths, I guess? Anyway, here goes, hope you don't mind the German lyrics.

Right-click, save as.

http://www.mainin.de/sounds/03 Main In - Zwei.mp3

2. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Yes, you uniquely SUCK!!! :spit:

Just kidding, trolling tendencies out of the way, the production was pretty much as you stated thus no fault of your own, but I liked the keyboards and vocals (don't ask me why, non-'States accents sound great in metal). I wouldn't call it definitavely the most unique thing ever thought of in the history of the planet, but compared to the sad excuse of a metal scene at least in the United States, it's fairly unique. I'm not always a fan of the bass slaving to the rhythm guitar, but that's only a personal opinion, and not applicable universally. Hopefully that's at least of slight use to you guys.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Glas you like it! I couldn't find a way to make the song sound good without doubling the rhythm guitar in most places though, the guitar riff is so low I couldn't really do much. It was easier in the chorus parts where I decided to stray away from it a bit.

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

In the end, it's completely up to you guys to figure out your sound. Example of a band which has had bassists adding their own thing to the song is Aghora, which has had Sean Malone and lately Alan Goldstein (phenomenal bassist for those who haven't heard him) laying down the bass parts, almost like a lead bass but never leaving the pocket. Again though, I think just follow the strategy you guys have been following and you guys should do pretty well.

5. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    thanks for the mention tired thumb!!! happy new year