Song Choices Too Obscure For Cover Band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 31, 2017.

1. I have a new project going with some guys who are all really talented. We decided right off the bat that we didn't want to do the same old bar band stuff that every other cover band in the area is doing. So we started picking songs and artists that are not as well known. We have about a dozen songs so far but I am getting a bit worried that most of our material may to be too unfamiliar to our audience.
    What do you all think of these song choices? Should we add in some songs that are more familiar to the audience or not worry about it.

I Don't Wanna Be.. Gavin DeGraw

Hide and Seek JJ Grey and Mofro

Heavy Hammer Delta Saints

Livin’ In A Dream Archangels

Carolina Blues Blues Traveler

Love Hurts Incubus

Mountain Climbing Joe Bonomassa

Shine Robert Plant and Strange Sensation

Black Dog Robert Plant and Strange Sensation

Hey No Pressure Ray LaMontagne

High Road Easy Sass Jordan

Here are a recordings of a few of these songs from our last rehearsal. These are rough recordings done with a Zoom recorder and no mixing. This was the first time doing a couple of these so they are a bit rough but you get the general idea.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Well, as long as your intention is to jam in the basement and not gig no prob :). About 95% of newly forming bands play mostly "deep cuts" and/or originals. About 5% of newly formed bands get paying gigs ;)

3. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    Life is short. Play what you want, but don't expect gigs to come easily. I personally love the variety you guys are playing, but I am probably an outlier.

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If your goal is to play out, you need to play popular music. If your goal is to play music you like, don't be surprised if you can't find gigs.

Nothing wrong with either approach.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Strange mix. Some (Black Dog, I Don't Wanna Know) are fine.

But as others have said, if you want to gig much, there is a REASON "everybody plays those songs". You are performing for the audience.