Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

song composition?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 4, 2003.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Now, when you hear of bands/songwriters sitting down and putting music to songs, it is nearly always the guitarist who sits down and puts the melody/rhythm to his/her lyrics, e.g. Noel Gallagher. But i was wondering, although i am starting to learn guitar, bass is my primary instrument and feel more comfortable on it. I have written songs but i want to put the rhythm and melody to them, is there ways of doing this with a bass in the same way as with a guitar

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Easy! Just put in a dummy bass line, playing the root notes, and humm or sing the melody... Then replace the bass line with whatever you like afterwards.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    oh yea, there are all sorts of ways to compose. There is no reason why you can't compose a melody on bass. You can even play chords on a bass. The trick is find what works for you. What is the best way for you to unleash the muse within you?