Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

song for fretless...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_giant, Apr 6, 2001.

1. bass_giant

bass_giant

Jul 31, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I've just got a new fretless...
    but i dun have any idea on it...
    is there any good song played by fretless bass ??
    please give me example...thx !!

2. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    Buy "Graceland" by Paul Simon

The best songs are:
    Boy in the bubble
    Graceland
    You can call me al
    Under African Skies

Sting liked the fretless aswell,
    buy "The Police:Greatest Hits"

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Some Pearl Jam songs involve a fretless. Alive and Yellow Ledbetter are the only ones I can think of right now. Also at the risk of stating the obvious, you can always check out Jaco Pastorius.
    -Dan

4. if you want some good fretless bass playing, check out Gary Willis...he's a master

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Any Paul Young stuff with Pino Palladino.

6. Check out early Bonnie Raitt with Freebo, or
    Joni Mitchell's albums with Pat Metheny and Jaco, or the album from Shania Twain "Come On Over", it has some nice fretless bass.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Get some early Brand X albums.

Percy Jones is amazing.

Will C.:cool:

8. Damn! Ya beat me to it!
    Percy is the bassist who showed me the way to fretless long ago.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Lou Reed - from the album "Blue Mask" - the song "I Love Women". The whole album actually, but that song's my favorite. A little obscure, but sooooooo worth looking into. You can probably find it on Napster.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    song for fretless...
    When I play unfretted, the bass sings :)

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Definately "Black No. 1" by Type O Negative. That's the song I'd play if I had a fretless. That's the ONLY song I'd play if I had a fretless. I'd play it over and over and over and over.....

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Better than type O! learn some jaco. He uses lots of fretless.

More difficult stuff (not neccessarily meaning harder than jaco. meaning other stuff that'd be difficult to play than jaco) would be Catch 22. Get the album "Keasbey Nights".

Songs to learn from it... "Walking Away". The bassist uses only fretless. :)

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Thank you CrawlingEye, a thread about fretless, and your the first one to say Jaco!

A great song to play on fretless would be "a remark you made" that song sound so much better on a fretless.

14. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Not only is Type-O the coolest Vampire band out there, but someone else beat me to that little four letter word that begins with J and ends in aco.

15. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000

Hey aren't they a German industrial band supported by Rammstein, if so, then yes, go Rammstein, I strongly sugest that you get the new CD "Mutter" (mother in English) It is very good, they have matured a lot, most of the songs include a symphony accompanyment, so go Till and the gang. If you like their earlier balls to the wall percussive rock, you can still hear the "I want to bash your face in cause I'm a big ass German" attitude in their hearts.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Whoohoo, makes me wonder how we Germans are seen and what Rammstein contributed to the image we seem to have. A lot of Rammstein's image is actually quite tongue-in-cheek and full of self-irony...;)

But I wanted to suggest another fretless song, it's still one of my favorites:

Give Blood, which is on Pete Towneshend's White City album. Pino Palladino and Simon Phillips definitely kick ass on this one. Brilliant basslines (with some BOSS Octaver) and a driving groove...

17. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I have no opinion of German's "in general" but you do have to admit that they really do kick. I have all of their albums and know nearly all of the translations, so I have looked into it, and see most of the self irony. As soon as they start their North American tour I will hardly be able to wait for them to come to town, I had thought about flying to New Zeland to see them, but the rest of my band would have a hard time with the airfare (my dad works for an airline so I get the benifits)

But on another note, was I right about catch 22?

18. Not Even the Trees by Hootie and the Blowfish has a nice little fretless line in it.

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not even close. Catch 22's a ska band from New Jersey. Their first bassist (The one on Keasbey Nights) used only a fretless, I'm not sure about their current one. But they have some pretty crazy bass lines. I suggest learning the song "Walking Away" like I mentioned before, and perhaps "On & On & On"

20. Catch-22 a german industrial band?! *shudder*