Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

song for my father,

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by skidog, Oct 8, 2002.

1. anyone out there have a tab for this?
    Thanks; skidog.

2. It might help if you included the band that plays it. :rolleyes:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if you're talking about Horace Silver, then it's one of the simplest basslines ever - so it's root-fifth all the way. Starting on F, then down to Eb, then Db and stopping on C. The rest of it is the same notes but in different order - you don't need Tab for this! ;)

4. and on top of that.. we don't need comments like this! ;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I was saying that because I just told him all the notes that are in it - so, therefore, he doesn't need the Tab - it's true in this case!! ;)

You try to help and all you get is criticism - I don't know! :D

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Go on Bruce - why don't you tab it out just for fun :cool:

BTW, we're still waiting for skidog to confirm the version of the song he's talking about....

Wulf

7. What are the chances of that?

8. No reason to get all over my s*** just because of a tab request. My instructor in my Small Show Band Class at the local Community College told me at the last class, that next time one of the songs we would be doing would be Song for my Father. I thought I would get a jump on it. Even as a novice, (I've only been beatin' the bass for less than three years) I know how important it is to the rest of the guys that the bass player is on top of things. Before there was a reply on Talk Bass I went to my class, that yes, it is a simple bass line. I'm glad all you Juliard graduates had a laugh at my expense.
    I play fifteen hours or more a week and love it! No matter what any pretentious s.o.b. thinks.
    Keep on bass beatin'!
    Later; skidog.

9. Take a pill man. No one got on your case. :rolleyes: Geez

10. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    keep blastin on the bass.
    bass is better. thats all u need to know.

later
    Lukas

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ahem - point of order. Do we know yet what band and what recording we want tab for?

Based on what you said, skidog, your best bet might be to talk to the Small Show Band instructor and see if you can have a look at the music he's using - it's possible that it won't relate to any recorded version but will be something specially arranged for the line up of a small show band.

Wulf

12. Bruce Lindfield

You tell somebody exactly what the bassline is and you get a load of abuse - is this what this forum is all about? :rolleyes:

Great incentive for anybody to reply to your questions next time!

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Bruce said:
    Er, Bruce.... I'm a little unsure about your use of "exactly" in that sentence. You've certainly given an outline of the bassline but not enough that I could play from (even if I wanted to... I'll admit my role in this discussion is fairly much round the edges). I know you're allergic to tabs, but a bit more information could be helpful - even if only a chord chart and some indication of the feel to use.

Otherwise it's like hanging out in the Luthier's forum and answering someone's question of 'how do I build a bass' by saying "Well, I use wood, metal and plastic..." :eek:

Wulf

14. Bruce Lindfield

No - you're right - I was sort of being ironic and humorous, but I can see it didn't come across that way!! The rolleyes smiley - allways makes me think of a sort of Monty Python sarcastic humour thing.

But I know that other people don't see it that way - maybe it should have been more of a ;) smiley for this post - I'm not really angry about it - I just think it's sort of ironically funny - the limitations of the internet, as a means of communication, hamper my sense of humour!! ;)

OK - to be more "exact" - bass is as I said root fifth all the way. Moderate bossa nova "feel". 2/4 - so like F to C - just ahead of the first beat of the bar.

4 bars - Fmi
    " " Eb7
    2 bars Db7
    bass stops on C7 - 2 bars then back

That's one A section

Play A twice then on to B section :

4 bars Eb7
    4 bars Fmi

One bar each of Eb7, Db7

stop on C7 for 2 bars

back to Fmi for 4 bars

...and then back to top!!

Is that exact enough? ;)

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No! We want exact chord voicings please, as well as the tune, and transcriptions of solos! :D

16. Bruce Lindfield

Buy a Real Book!!

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Without said real book yes

18. Bruce Lindfield

Actually, to be serious, Joe Henderson's tenor solo on the original recording is one of my favorite solos ever - completely transforms the feel of the song and takes it to another level - I've never tried transcribing it, but it would certainly be a good one to analyse - fantastic energy from repeating motifs getting faster, if I remember correctly?

19. Um... could you just post the lines with the numbers on them please, you just really confused me.
    :rolleyes: :D

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd say that Bruce's expanded version looks like a pretty through guide - certainly ample for anything played in a jazz idiom. Sometime I might actually hear Silver's version of the song and look forward to being able to pick it up straight away.

skiboy - your next job is to work on what Bruce has provided and then hope it matches with what your band does. As long as the structure of the sections is the same, any practise you do around those chord progressions will help you hear the song more deeply when you finally get into a band situation with the music stuck in front of you.

... of course, not being strictly a tabbed solution, I suppose there's always the question of whether this should actually be in general instruction :p

Wulf