1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Song ideas for updating our set list

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 8, 2012.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    We are a classic rock/blues band. Most of what we play is late 60's to late early 80's with a few exceptions. We all agree that things are getting stale and would like to add some more material of the same style only a bit newer. We are thinking of more 80's stuff but nothing super heavy or pop. We currently have bass, drums, one guitar and a multi-instrumentalist who plays harmonica, trumpet and percussion. We have talked about adding a second guitar or ideally a keyboard player if possible. So for now lets say songs that are not dependent on keys.

Please give me some song ideas.

2. Layla (the first half) would be good, if you got a pianist then the whole thing

3. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I honestly don't care for Layla. It is IMO a perfect example of an overly long and monotonous song. I was thinking of more uptempo 80's and even 90's songs that people at a bar would sing along with and dance to. What are you people doing in your bands?

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
  5. dand666

dand666

Jun 15, 2011
    We do sets of 12, and each set we do different genres.

6. We've currently added

Black Keys - Lonely Boy (Tighten Up and Howlin' For You would also be good choices)
    Cake - Sick Of You (If you've got a trumpet, you coul do Short Skirt Long Jacket)

7. Stick shifts is a stronger cake tune

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ummm.... the OP said 80s, y'all.

Not sure how well they'll fit your particular sound, but here are some ideas just scrolling through my mediaplayer...

Joe Cocker/You Can Leave Your Hat On

Adam Ant/Goody Two Shoes (since you have a trumpet!)

B-52s/52 Girls (I always wish more bands would do this one)

Blondie/One Way or Another

Bow Wow Wow/I Want Candy

Chumbawamba/Tubthumping

The Cure/Friday I'm in Love

David Bowie/Sound and Vision

Elvis Costello/Pump It Up

Hall and Oates/You Make My Dreams

J Geils Band/Flamethrower

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Also in the "since you have trumpet" category: Tom Jones' "Sex Bomb"

10. Jackyl - The Lumberjack/simple 1-4-5 progression, KISS - Lick it Up combined with the Beattles - Get Back as a medley. Poison - Every Rose (I know... it's an over played song that musicians generally hate but it goes over with the MILFs). The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated". Guns-n-Roses "I Used to Love Her" can even be played as a country song. Toby Keith "I Love This Bar" as covered by Sammy Hagar.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    80's stuff is huge at the moment. White Snake, Great White, Poison, Firehouse.........

12. Yes, speaking of Great White "Once Bitten Twice Shy". Or AC/DC "You Shook Me". Almost anything from KISS or AC/DC does well. We play mostly 80's hairband songs and it goes over well w/women in their 30's and 40's on the dance floor. Funny how the music we musicians loathe is so popular w/the drunks running up their bar tabs. Other songs I hated playing but the crowds loved... Beastie Boys Fight for Your Right and Violent Femmes "Blister". What a stupid song. I hated that it always went over well at the bars.

13. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Billy Joel and Stones go over well for us

14. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Stevie Ray Vaughan? We used to open with "House is Rockin'" and people enjoyed it.

Also, if you're okay with some country rock, bands like The Kentucky Headhunters had some rockin' songs. Also "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" by The Georgia Satellites. ZZ Top might be worth looking at as well.

15. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    We have one SRV song, Cold Shot, but I wouldn't mind adding a couple more. As for ZZ Top we have eight songs. We like the Top! Most of it is the earlier bluesy stuff like Fool For Your Stockings and Jesus Just Left Chicago. I would like to add a couple of others like Cheap Sunglasses and Party on the Patio.
    Some good suggestions so far overall. Keep them coming!

16. Well, since you have a trumpet player- why not do "Misirlou"? The original Dick Dale version has trumpet playing the lead line in the B section.

17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We do a few ZZ Top songs and they always go over well. We play Waitin' For The Bus, La Grange, Tube Snake Boogie, Sharp Dressed Man, and Gimme All Your Lovin'. We also do quite a few instrumental tunes that people really dig.

A song that we started to play last year that gets them on the dance floor instantly is Fast As You by Dwight Yoakam.

18. kinclune

kinclune

Nov 27, 2005
    I am curious about which instrumentals you play.

19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I have done some George Thorogood & The Destroyers songs that always went over well.

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    new favorite song
    otis redding - cigarettes and coffee

old favorite song
    oasis - round are way