Song List??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MauriLii, May 2, 2003.

1. MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Okay gang, I need your help!

The music my band is playing is starting to stagnate. I need some suggestions from out there as to material that always gets an audience going. We're mostly classic rock, but we are fairly flexible as are our audiences.

So basically, I need a good song list of "Oh geez, we're loosing them. Let's play _______." songs.

Oh yeah, we have bass, drums, two guitars and a female lead vocalist, but we all take turns doing lead vocals.

Thanks Folks!!:)
  2. The Who - My Generation, Teenage Wasteland

Nirvsheep - Smells Like Teen Spirit :rolleyes:

Deep Perple - Smoke On The Water! Blaxk Night, Highway Star

Led Zep. - Stairway To Heaven

Aerosmith - Dream On

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

The Beatles - .. anything?

*shrugs* just some stuff off the top of me noggin' :D
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm...if you have a girl singing, play Jill Sobule's "I Kissed a Girl". That should attract a little more attention. One of my bands has a bluesy one called "The Lesbian Song". It's got funny lyrics and always grabs a few more peoples' attention.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Sweet Home Alabama, Gimmie 3 Steps.
    Back in Black, Highway to Hell
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Anything by Aerosmith... maybe some well known yet not over done Black Sabbath

And uh... some kelly osbourne stuff.
  6. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    hmmmm.... play something goofy..
    just got get the audence..

GAY BAR by electric 5!

*girl i wanna stick it in ya.. at the gay bar gay bar gay bar*
  7. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Tenacious D is funny, but for more normal songs...maybe if your vocalist can do something by PJ Harvey?
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You could really set me off here.

Live stuff

Want Rock?
    Chuck Berry

Stones [ Get your Ya Ya;s out! awesome live stuff
    and easily covered, have done so ... ]

Johnny Winter And - Live
    if you like blues - its my own fault
    if rock, the whole chuck berry medley

Black Magic Woman - original version by Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green. And the rest of that genre.

If that doesn't rejuvenate your spirit, and inject enthusiasm into your playing after listening to these high energy cuts, get into another ... can't say that . Work this out, but listen to a lot of different music to challenge you and take up the challenge personally.If your band mates don't want to grow , well , you will have to grow on your own, won't you?

I have about 500 more songs/song titles in that genre to share, PM me if you need more inspiration,
    I'm here to inspire you as best I can.

take care
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    King Diamond... have the girl sing the high parts and a guy sing the low parts. That'll catch an ear or two.
  10. I play in an oldies band with some classic rock. Lately, we've been having good audience response to:
    - Jenny (867-5309) - it's kind of a curve ball for an oldies band, but the intro guitar lick is easily recognizable
    - Everybody Needs somebody to love (Blues Brothers) - distinctive intro and it gives an opportunity to introduce the band. It also gives the singer a chance to walk onto the dancefloor with a mike and let people sing along.
    - It's all over now (Rolling Stones)
    - Ain't too Proud to Beg - It doesn't do much for me but the audience digs it
    - Stand by me (Ben E. King) Good slow dancer - Try to get that upright sound without changing basses.
    - any Motown, Ray Charles or Sam & Dave - If you have the vocals and can get a little funky on bass, it's a lot of fun and the audience digs it.

Many of these are simple songs to learn and leave some room to noodle around on the bass.
  11. MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    There's some great stuff here! Thanks guys!

Keep 'em coming.
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ricktunesmith reminded me of a few more tunes.
    [ It's all over now is a great tune, check the Johnny Winter version with Rick Derringer... ]

I can't turn you loose. [ Cropper/Redding or Blues Brothers style, they are close. ]
    Shake [ Otis Redding - Check the Montery Pop set live. ( Hate to come on after that guy... )]
    Mustang Sally
    Knock on Wood
    Midnight Hour.
    All funky tunes with good bottoms.

For a softer song, try
    Bye, Bye Blackbird off Joe Cockers first album.

You can leave your hat on ... [ Theme song from the full monty ] Cocker

We gotta get out of this place
    Great song, would rock if updated.
    It's my life
    Bring it on home to me. [ Sam Cooke cover ]
    River deep. mountain high.
    [ Unspectorizing this would could be really cool for the right band, Great harmony opps between bass and guitar. ]

She not there
    Time of the season

So tired
    Demon alcohol

Jimmy Cliff
    Harder they come

Country Road - [Toots and the Maytalls version ]

Here's a dance medley we once came up with.

Glory days
    Dancin in the Dark
    Dancing in the street
    Harlem Shuffle [ shake your tailfeather baby ]
    Dance little sister dance

One of the guys loved the first sing so it went in.
    It was a non stop medley and took at least 45 minutes. Though we could go longer as there was a lot of jamming in the last song.

The medley starts by playing through each intro or hook, one after the other, segued together.
    It ends by reprising the intros after all the songs are played. You get your rests when you lay out.
    Great medley.

You got enough material there to put together a bunch of sets.
    Have fun.
    Edit: When you are done, you think of more
    Love is the Drug - Roxy Music {?}
    Everybody's workin for the Weekend [ Loverboy ]
    Saturday Nights allright for fightin [ Elton John ]