Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

song parts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 7, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I know it doesn't really matter, but i have written 18 songs and all of them have the song name at the end of the chorus...i mean inknow it doesn't matter...but songs today sem to have the sing title at the start of the chorus...i mean i know ill leave some the same but should i start putting some of the titles at the start of the chorus?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think you should focus on writing a good song. If the song is good, no one cares where the title of the song is in the lyrics. In "Help" and "Hey Jude", the title of the song are the first word or two.

In "Every little thing she does is magic" and "Hotel California", the song title doesn't come until the Chorus. These are all great songs, though. In the case of "Here, there and everywhere", the whole title doean't come together till the end, although alluded to throughout the song, while in "A day in the life", the title isn't mentioned at all.

From a commercial perspective, having the title of the song as early as possible in the lyric. The song should come first, though.

Will C.:cool:

3. Just be like Nirvana, make stupid song names that have nothing to with the actuall song(Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium, Territorial Pissings, etc.)

4. Well, with the songs I've tried to write, I always start out by writing a poem, then arranging the stanzas until it seems more like a song, with verses and a chorus etc.
    BUT, the poems that I write all follow a set structure of 4 lines per stanza, with a rhyming pattern of abcb for every stanza. It's just the way I write poetry. I'm sure if I REALLY wanted to, I could adjust the structure etc, but for some reason I just write it that way.

Anyway, back to lyrical content & the placement of the title in songs, I usually have the song title in the chorus, if anywhere at all. As for placement of the title WITHIN the chorus, it varies from time to time, depending on what sounds good. :)

5. When I listen to music, I try not to be too analytical, but at times I feel it can be very beneficial. When I listen to a band that has a great bass player like Tower of Power, Rush, or Iron Maiden, I enjoy listening to just the bass line and analyzing how the bass player approaches the song and how they make the song better.

Also, I often will analyze how a song is arranged both lyrically and instrumentally. I would suggest you listen to a band like The Beatles (especially from Rubber Soul on) and listen to how they present the lyrics to their songs because they had a real variety to how the words were arranged. Another great lyricist is Bob Dylan. I bet if you listen to them, you'll get some ideas on how to approach your songs differently.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Another incredible lyricist/bass layer is Sting. Also check out Elton John and Billy Joel for lyrics.

I don't know your style, though, Patrick. Are you more Creed, more Nirvanna or more No Doubt or more what? My simplest advice...because i believe the simplest advice is often the easiest and best...identify your style. Then listen very carefully and analytically to the most successful practitioners of that style and see what they do.

JO

7. does anyone know the tabs for the theme song to best of the best 1, 2 ,3, or 4

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

9. I don't think it matters. In Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love" the song name is only mentioned once in the whole song, at there IS no chorus! Likewise in Talking Head's "Sax and Violin" the song title is only mentioned once and again there is no chorus. Incidentally in the last song I wrote, the song title is only mentioned at the END of the chorus! I really don't think it matters, so long as the song sounds good to you and you're happy with it.