Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Song Poem show on PBS last Tuesday night.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anybody else see this? Crackpots from all over America write lyrics and send them to people who set them to music for a fee. It was like Spinal Tap meets Deliverence. You get some looney sending in his money and lyrics about his wang; and these old country dudes in Nashville would pick a key, a style, play it, and recording it. The looney would then get his song as an EP. At the end of the documentary they cited a stat that claimed there were tens of thousands of these songs submitted from 1980 to the present, and not one has become a hit. I was sitting there the whole time watching like this: :eek: :bassist:

2. Stupidity: This is the real opiate of the masses. ;)

Mike

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yeah - I saw this! Very compelling stuff...

The one that killed me is that father and son combo at the "jamboree". You gotta give 'em credit for hitching their wagon to a dream....Tune that guitar, kid and learn more than two chords....Even the depressing phone call to the DJ in Denmark didn't put a dent in this guy's spirit....

The final statistic was telling: out of 200,000 song poems produce in the U.S. since 1900, not one has ever become a hit.

DD

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That phone call was the best. Thanks for posting that statistic, I couldn't remember it.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm really surprised that someone hasn't web-enabled the whole song-poem process already. Submit your lyrics via the text box, then download the MP3....

Well, I guess mp3.com takes care of much of this already...

Fraser