1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Song repertoire deficit - solve with theory?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by WRXbase, Apr 22, 2009.

1. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I prolly started playing bass YEARS after many of the guitar players I know. Seems that they spent years learning songs while I was just learning to play. This extends into most of the guitar players I've just played with, also.

I don't know how to play the 15 Metallica, 12 ACDC, 25 Ozzy/Sabbath songs, ad infinitum, all these guys know. I have a pretty good grasp of chords/theory so I pick these songs up fast.

So ... should I just continue to hone my playing, chord and theory knowledge or add in a sizeable dose of learning this stuff?

2. The material you're describing is more riff than theory.

I'm normally the one who shuggest to drop the memorization and then learn theory - in your material case, it may make sense to know the top 50 tunes.

Now country, pop, jazz etc - answer would be different.

T.

3. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I've also been trying to figure out some way to carry a sizeable list of the progressions for these songs. Spiral notecard deck in my gig bag?

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Maybe its just my inexperience talking here, but I feel like its easier to remember guitar parts as melodies tend to stick to the brain easier. I've learned a lot of songs, I don't think I can play you more than a handful start to finish, and most of them would be riffy/grooves.