1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Song samples of 60's vs 70's jazz tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 25, 2008.

1. I'm trying to find some good examples of a 60's jazz bass tone vs 70's jazz tone. I don't slap but the idea of upgrading to a 1970's jazz tone is intriguing. Can anyone recommend some examples of non-slap 1970's jazz tones?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Neil Jason has "the" '70s Jazz tone (recording like The BRecker Brothers & Bob James, etc).

Why the "upgrade"?
    Check out SMACK's thread on Jazz Bass pickups...he sold me on the Nordstrand line.

3. Oh, I already had a set of NJ4's but my bass was stolen. I have insurance money and wanted to know if the 70's style jazz tones are what I'd like. I love the jazz bass growl and I'm not sure if the 70's wind that was brought in from Steamco will fit the bill. I bought my pickups from Steamco initially but they don't have any sound samples.

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    so, more to the point, assuming you have the same pickups in a 60's type bass and a 70's type bass, you'd like to know what difference the other design changes made?