Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Song slow down

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by romac, Feb 28, 2004.

1. I'm wanting some sort of device that slows songs down from CD and/or from MP3 files on my PC (though I can just burn them to CD). I also would like one that boosts the bass part so it is clear and not just a blurred booming noise. And one that cuts the bass part.

I've found three options and I just would like some opinions and some people who maybe have some experience with these things, any tips would be great:

1) SlowGold - http://www.worldwidewoodshed.com/compare.htm. OC software, $50

2) Amazing slow downer - http://www.ronimusic.com PC software, is $40 but the demo version has most of the features and is free

3) http://www.activemusician.com/store...-BT1&c=40DE06E0A43741CF9A6E3FF6B25D6FC6&nav=s $150. Just click the link for details.

So anyone who has had past experiences of these and would like to help, I would be very grateful. :)

ps. I do realise these aren't really "effects" as such but I couldnt think of a forum any more suitable than this one.

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I'd try Misc, and no, I've never used this stuff. Good look getting answers.

3. If I understand, you just want to slow the tempo down, right? Windows Media Player
    (Latest Version) has that built in, after you convert the song to MP3 or their WMA format. Click View, Engancements, Play Speed Settings. It works and it's free.

4. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like a good place to me. Off to misc. And sorry, no opinions from me either.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The Amazing slow downer is phenomenal, I have only used the demo, but me and my roommate are going 50/50 on it to get the full version.

7. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    it's so weird how you mention this tonight. I was reading Bass Player Mag during my break at work. They had a small section on this device that was like a portable CD player and headphone amp with mega bass boost and variable tempo. I think it might be exactly what you're looking for, unfortunatly I forget the name of it. If you ever see the Issue of Bass Player with Nikki Sixx on the cover, it's in there near among the mini-articles.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I can do this sort of thing with Winamp; just download the Pacemaker plugin and use the EQ to boost whatever the bass part occupies. It isn't the most percise or best sounding method, but it works.

9. Thanks for the replies. To the person who couldn't remember of the slow down thing they saw in a magazine. Checl my first post in this thread, its called the Tasca, CD Trainer.

Anyway that is $150 and from what you guys say, I can most things I want for free. As long as the quality is good with these free ways I just do them.

And to wrong_robot. What are the differences between the full version and the demo??

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it would be easier to just buy CDs where this is not the case - I have thousands of CDs and I can hear the bass very clearly on every one!! :meh:

(I do have some CDs of old recordings of early Jazz where the Double Bass is indistinct - but on all the recordings with Bass Guitar, I can hear it very clearly)

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The demo only allows you to do either A) tracks 1 and 2 of any CD or b) the first 30 seconds of any audio file(.mp3, .aif, .wav, .aac..etc.)

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm happy using Transcribe! - particularly useful is the ability to save a list of track markers so you can easily identify the overall structure of the song and zoom in on a particular section. You've then got independent control over speed and pitch and also a neat EQ tool to play with. $40 and thirty days of unlimited use to see if it works well for you.

Wulf