Song Structure ??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LarryM317, Jan 9, 2009.

1. LarryM317

LarryM317

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio Valley
    Here's my question on song structure.

I started playing bass about 3 years ago, but never really went anywhere with it. Started getting back into bass again and trying to join a band to keep me focused. (I really love playing bass, more of a time issue.) I took a couple lessons, and know some basics about chords, key signatures, root notes, ect.

I've played with a group that plays old country music, very basic stuff on bass. I have a setlist of about 40 songs to learn. Now the bandleader is telling me that old country music is set to a certain patern, and there are little exceptions. Here is what he is saying, but I can't see it myself. I would like to know if anyone else can see what he is saying....

The songs are structured depending on what key they are in. For example, is a song is in the key of C, then 3 chords are played during the song. The i, iv, and v cholds. In C they would be C, F, and G. He is saying that a verse will use the iv and v chords, and the chorus will use the i and v chords.

So far I have learned a couple songs and I see the i,iv, v paterns, but nothing relating to chorus and verses.

Would sure make a helpful way to learn 40 songs....

Here are a couple of the songs if anyone can help.

Folsom Prison Blues, Cash
    Gambler by K Rogers
    Country Roads by John Denver
    Whiskey bent and Hell Bound by H. Williams Jr.

Thanks,
    Larry

2. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    to learn songs, the best way I found is to count out the beats. in 4/4 time, 4 notes per bar.

so, I count out 4 bars at a time....counting out each bar one at a time.

Never more than 4 bars per staff line.

i am learning/charting classic rock , so I can get in a cover band.

so

Intro--- 2 or 4 bars

verse--- 4 bars

chorus---2 bars

repeat above...

break-- 2 bars

solo--- 2 or 4 bars

verse--4 bars

chorus/outro ---- 2 or 4 (double chorus) bars out....

what the band leader is saying, is that you will see patterns start to develop

when I chart out songs, I count the beats, and mark down the bars

then, I go back and figure out the bass parts for those parts...

RE: intro part/verse part/chorus part/ break part/ solo part/ outro part

I have about 20 -30 songs charted, and there are certain patterns that emerge

you must must must---

write the bars out in a music book/staff paper

this has helped me a lot, and I got mos tof those suggestions right here on TB

any questions, PM me...I'll try to help

allen