Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Song suggestions for ear training

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fisk, Oct 9, 2001.

1. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hello everyone.

I'm so sick of needing my bass instructor to help me figure out the bass lines in songs, I could puke. I have really started paying close attention to ear training so I can figure this stuff out on my own. I've been playing for several months now, and my playing is getting better every day, but unless I get tabs off the internet or have my teacher figure it out for me, I might as forget it, i'm lost.

I need some suggestions for songs that would be good to practice note and chord recognition. A song with a blistering fast bass solo would be useless at my level of ability. I'm looking for songs with fairly easy bass lines, maybe something that just follows the root motion and would be good practice to start out. I'll work up to harder songs as I go. Then I can take it to my next lesson and see how I did.

I would appreciate any song suggestions, or any other advise on ear training in general.

thanks,

fisk

2. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hello, hello......is this thing on?

Come on guys, 3 views in two hours? I once saw a thread titled "how long is your nose hair" that had dozens of replies. :rolleyes: Certainly someone out there has a song suggestion for me.

Ok, i'll start. "With or without you" by U2 would be a good song to start with. The entire song just repeats D, A, B, G all the way through. If I didnt already know this, it would be a good example of what i'm looking for.

Anyone else?

thanks in advance,

fisk

3. try simple songs. and "Sunshine Of Your Love" by cream. simple, but took me a hell of a long time to figure it out!

4. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" by Lucinda Williams. Relatively simple, tasty bass lines. After getting the notes and form down, strive for exact timing and note duration. Don't worry, the more songs you figure out, the better you'll get at it. Good Luck.

5. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just d/l'ed both of those songs from Morpheus. Excelent suggestions from both of you. Thats what I was looking for. Thank you.

Anyone else?

fisk

6. MONEY - PINK FLOYD;)

7. LimpChunk9

LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    The Bouncing Souls - Joe Lies

Its the easiest song I know on bass and has a very easy progression. Towards the end it gets a little harder.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Sublime - Had a Dat

9. In some records you'll find the bass is mixed higher and it will be easier to pick out.

For oldies, try
    The Kinks and You Really Got Me,
    David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust. (not quite so simple, but easy to hear I think)
    ZZ Top and Tush.

More recent stuff
    Song2 by Blur
    Chasey Lain by the Bloodhound Gang
    Yellow by Coldplay
    Any Oasis song - e.g Roll With It?

Good Luck
    :)

10. seeing as mark hoppus is a crap bassist that just follows root notes, try blink. they are all easy to play.

11. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    The first song I figured out all by myself was RHCP's "Otherside" you could try that.

Other than that I second "Sunshine of Your Love"

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I suggest starting with songs that have simple chord structures. The blues are great for this. Personally, I like Dr. John. Say, for instance, his album, Gumbo. This album has a lot of simplistic songs, but there is definite groove to them, and some syncopation that makes the songs interesting.

I start by just trying to play through the songs chord changes, with roots only. Don't worry about the fills or embellishments at first. It also helps to create a lead chart for the song. With blues this is extremely easy. It's often 12-bar blues, but if it's not, if it has one or two harmonic variations, creating a chart will help you visualize the changes. Go from there. Some of Aretha Franklin's stuff, like Respect, has basic chord changes, and the bass lines don't do anything too crazy.

I can't encourage you enough to start with songs that have two or three chords, excluding the bridge maybe, and build up from there. Even if you just spend 5 minutes a day on it, it will get quicker and easier with time.

Good luck.

13. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Is that anything to do with the Jane's Addiction song "Had a Dad"...?

14. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Ohh tough words, I bet you scared him....

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Spelling it properly isn't as important as being able to do it properly.:eek:;)