1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Song Suggestions for Exam (Cool 60's basslines)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sigge, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Sigge

Sigge

Jun 8, 2014
    Norway
    I just finished today playing bass for a seniors guitar exam and next year its my turn, all of the seniors had way too much to do so I've decided to create a setlist early and start learning them now

You're supposed to hold a 20 minute concert and its normal to have four songs with some talking in between. All the seniors exams are held infront of the entire school in one day every year. Nearly every guitarist picks metal, bassists funk and singers ballads. And this year was no exception, but neither of these are genres I hold close (maybe with the exception of funk, I guess I do fit the norm)

Anyway, this lead to very little variety and I could hear the sensors saying they were tired of it, and I've already decided Something by The Beatles cause that's the song that got me into bass in the first place and I think its suiting. Then when I today chose the second song Rock the Casbah by The Clash I thought it would be cool if I held an all classic rock concert

My question to you is if you know of any cool basslines from the 60's/70's? It doesn't have to be the most impressive songs in the world as long as its a stepup from like Love Me Do. Also, preferibly something by different artists/bands :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    The first song that came to mind when I read your thread title was Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Rock the Casbah was not '60's.

My Generation - the Who - now that's '60's

4. Sigge

Sigge

Jun 8, 2014
    Norway
    Thanks, I'll consider it!
    Oh, you're right. I've always thought of all Clash songs as 60's/70's tunes but I see now it didn't come out before the early 80's. I still intend to keep it

5. DrSteve

DrSteve Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2008
    North Delaware
    If you're talking 60's rock, the Kinks All Day and All of the Night comes to mind. Not difficult, fun, and the crowd usually goes for it.

6. Sigge

Sigge

Jun 8, 2014
    Norway
    Yeah it did cross my mind but I think I want to go for something where the bass is a little more in focus and/or challenging

7. Cream?

'Badge' or 'Take It Back' both have quintessential Jack Bruce basslines.

8. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    you could do the Eddie van Halen send up of 'you really got me' 60's Kinks

you might want to listen to some Jack Cassady early Airplane 'White Rabbit' 'Somebody to Love' 'Embryonic Journey' era
    His work on the 1st 'Hot Tuna' album was stellar 'Hesitation Blues'

or just let the whole 20 minutes go to Phil Lesh 'Dark Star'

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    try Bruce Springsteen's favorite 60's band, The Animals

10. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I play animals 'It's my Life' every evening as unconscious warm up
    very 60's

11. Money get away get a good job with more pay and your o.k. Learn this simple 7/4 bass riff tune. It's long, but not hard. get the hall leonard dark side of the moon bass book for 10 bucks and learn Money. Nearly everyone on the planet knows this song as soon as you play the first riff.

12. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I'm partial to the Detroit Emeralds Baby Let Me Take You. It's not hard, but the groove is fun to play.

I'm Your Captain by Grand Funk Railroad is a fantastic bass line to play. Excellent song too.

13. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Aquarius from Hair musical!

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Does it have to be a whole song? How about Motown? You could show how the lines changed from the simple early lines (My Girl, Can't Hurry Love) to the more middle when things got more complicated (Goin to a Go Go) to the later period when it became more complex and influenced by other music (Aint No Mountain High Enough, Bernadette). It would be fun to play, and an easy discussion.

15. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Oct 28, 2012
    If you'd like, I wrote an arrangement of "I Get Around" by The Beach Boys. Fun song, pretty simple. If you have singers who can hack it, all the better.

16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Jackson 5 - I Want You Back. Great bass line!

17. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    The lead guitarist for The Grass Roots lives here in our town. I did a lounge act with him for ages!

18. Rush - Working Man
    Anything by Led Zeppelin
    Anything by The Beatles

19. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    lots of great reggae songs with awesome bass lines from that era. Marley tunes obviously, but toots and the maytalls album funky kingstown has great bass work, though like many reggae basslines it borders on repetitive at times. might be a refreshing sound though. not very "showy" all the time but something to be said for really owning the pocket.

20. Yhugly

Yhugly

Jan 23, 2014
    I guess its not exactly rocky but could always try What's going on by Marvin Gaye. It's a fair challenge and just an incredible line