1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Song Suggestions for New Orleans Style Funk Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Aug 22, 2012.

1. A half serious post on Facebook this morning led to me suddenly finding myself organizing and leading a New Orleans style funk band by the end of the day. I have a list of serious players ready to start rehearsing in about a month.

Instrumentation is me on bass, a drummer, a guitarist who doubles on lap steel, a sax player (alto, soprano, tenor, and wind controller), a keyboardist, and a multi-instrumentalist who plays trumpet, guitar, keys, accordion, banjo, and probably several other instruments.

We want to keep it a fun dance party, and I'm pretty hip to the standard Meters/Neville Bros/Galactic offerings and the standards that people are going to expect. The band is going to groove like crazy and I want to keep things in that vein, but I also want to find some stuff that will showcase the musicianship of the band and offer a challenge.

So, essentially I'm in search of some suggestions. Suggest away...

2. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    For something a little off your track but in a NOLA vein, you might consider some Little Feat off of Dixie Chicken. Not necessarily dance but very funky with fun, offbeat lyrics.

3. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan

Awesome idea, I've been wanting to do something similar down here, but no luck on finding the right guys that like NOLA music like I do. PM me if you start gigging, I'll drive halfway across the state to see you guys. +1 on Galactic.

4. I'm not sure my guys are completely sold on the idea, but I was able to assemble a band of serious players and that's been the draw so far... :)

5. I'd suggest trying some tunes that this type of band would NEVER be expected to do, but do them very much in your chosen style. I'm in a rockabilly-based project; we're gonna do Detroit Rock City. :ninja: