Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Song that I did with a friend of mine.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Justin V, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I finally got some webspace to put my stuff on. The first thing I'm putting up is a song that I redid for a friend of mine. She originally wrote the song last summer. Then I got my computer recording stuff right before break and I wanted to figure out how to use it. So she wrote out the chords for it and let me have fun with it over break. She did the vocal track last week. I'm mostly happy with it except for the drum track, which would have been better if my comp hadn't lost the data for the song before I could completely finish it (I had a backup mp3).

Notes: The white noise in the beginning is intentional. And you're only going to hear guitar out of one channel during the first part of the song (again, intentional).

I Need You (Vanegas Mix).mp3

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The girl has a nice voice, but it seems like she isn't singing very confidently. And her timing is kind of wonky here and there. It's like she isn't using her voice as well as she could, it's not bad, just a little...wonky, definitely sounds like she isn't comfortable with something.

also, is that snare supposed to be slightly off beat? that could be what is throwing me off.

nice tune though, good bassing :)

3. OK, instrumentals aren't bad, but the singing IMO is horrible. It sounds like she has no confidence at all.

To simply put the singing, it sounds like she has a gun to her head.

4. The guitars are really good. Nice bass fills, but I think that the tone is a bit aggresive for the song. The Singer again has a nice voice, but she's off. The snare and bass drum sound like someone one the drum machine who can't find the right tempo.

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks for the responses. I'm pumped that people actually listened to it. :D

In regards to the drums, technically that's me on a cheap keyboard htting two keys. Hence, it sounding like crap. That's what I was gonna redo before my computer made all the data dissapear (I'm still not sure how the hell that happened). I've never been happy with the drum part, but I did this before Garage Band, so I was kinda lacking in drum type things.

And in regards to her voice, it probably sounds like she has no confidence in her singing because well....for some reason she doesn't. I've been trying to convince her that she actually CAN sing REALLY well.

Anyway, keep the comments/criticism comin'. All of it's much appreciated.