Song Titles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I was talkin about this with a friend last night and I can't stop thinking about it now: How the hell do these artists come up with the titles of their songs?
    Some aren't so complicated, for example: Jaco named his song John & Mary after his children. But, why Teen Town or 3 View of a Secret? If a song is instrumental, then how did they decide what to call it?
    Of course this isn't just Jaco, this odd phenomenon appears all over the place, especially in Jazz, and it makes a lot less sense when a song is instrumental. Think about it for a minute, pick any instrumental jazz tune and try to figure out why it's called what it's called. Sometimes it makes sense (ie. Portrait of Tracy), sometimes it doesn't (ie. Bright Size Life).
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

This one, for instance (It's an instrumental. I don't know why those lyrics are there).
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    "Teen Town" is (was) the name of a youth club Jaco used to frequent and iirc, used to play in with Wayne Cochran and the C.C. Riders.

"Three views of a secret" was the title of another tune which Jaco lifted for his own now more famous composition.

Sometimes, a tune is called something for a reason. Other times, because it needs to be called something.