Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Song: Watermelon Man

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by warwickben, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Song: Watermelon Man
    Artist: Herbie Hancock

iam not sure if the tab on the site is right. can any one help me on this song ,ie telling me if the tab is right. did use the propper right

also please name me othere jazz songs like this one . i know i know tabs are for jazz cats

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well Jazz basslines are nearly always improvised from the chord chart - so Tabs are effectively irrelevant in this situation.

This particular tune has many versions - so there is acoustic period Herbie and Electric HeadHunters - plus loads of cover versions - I have heard it as a Latin tune with Tumbao bass lines etc etc.

There is no one "right" version!

It is a very simple chord sequnce - 3 chords, so it just best to get these in your head and take it from there!!

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Eh? You just find me *one* Jazz cat that uses tabs...

As regards Watermelon Man - which version are you talking about... there are two well known Herbie Hancock versions - the 1962 original from "Takin' Off" (acoustic), and the funky electric version from "Head Hunters" (1973). That's the one with the 'bottles' doing the riff at the start.

I imagine that's the one you're talking about, because it has the distinctive bass line. It's in F, and starts with a low F. Then you've got 10ths on Eb, E and F in the higher octave (i.e. Eb on the E string @ 11th fret & G on the G string @ 12th fret - etc., going up in semitones).

4. Bruce Lindfield

Didn't I say that already!!! ?? ;)

5. i ment to say arent for jazz cats. i want to learn how to play the 1962 original from "Takin' Off. what i wanted to know is the tab right thats on this site. and what are some othere ghood songs like watermelon man.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well I did have a quick look and it would fit, but I don't think it is "exactly" what is played on the album - but then, as I said : Jazz is about improvising and there is no right or wrong - it's more about getting a good feel and playing what is right for the song - Tabs are always imprecise for me in this respect and this whole genre or era of "soul" Jazz is very much about the feel and rhythm which is precisely what Tabs don't give you!!

"and what are some othere ghood songs like watermelon man"

Canteloupe Island is its counterpart and the obvious choice.

7. Canteloupe Island are u pulling my leg. i guess i have to go see if its a real song.