Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

song words

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    K, my band is at a point were we wanna write our own stuff. So I have wrote two and our singer/guitarist has wrote one. But we cant think of any words for them! Any help on thinking up words would be appreciated.

2. This may or may not help:

I heard an interview with Sting, on the radio, some time back and they were asking him how he came up with the song: Fields of Gold. He said he came up with the title first and the song almost wrote itself out after that. I've written a lot of lyrics for bands I've been in and I've never tried that technique before. Afterwards I decided, if I come up with anything that might sound like a cool song title, to write it down. I have since written a few songs this way and in most cases they do write themselves after coming up with the title.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Think of a couplet that doesnt sound stupid. Unless of course you want it to. Listen to the TV radioo and any conversation. Think about what P's you off.

You have to say something. Start the song with an inviting line.....

'I remember when we used to sit in the Goverment yard in Trenchtown' is an example brownie point for knowing the song.

Dont force the rhymn unless you want to. Don't use stupid cupid unless you want to sound like a spice girl.

Decide to use first person or third. Decide to be auto-biographical or get in the skin of your characters even if you hate them. EG write about a serial killer (c'est que se) as if you are him (assuming you r not a serial killer of course).

Write amusing lines 'I tried to drown my sorrows but they learnt to swim' is another line I wish I wrote. (points again).

Sorry to get biblical but the Psalmists used imagery to describe the subject matter. John's Revelation is pure imagery (either just a dream or prophecy depending on your viewpoint)

Or if all else fails write about girls 'She was just seventeen if you know what I mean'

So to summarise; use philosophical intelligent storytelling with clever rhymns or just write about sex. :)

4. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Firstly get a rhyming dictionary; great investment: also try get out about everyday things...you know things u do etc..the rhyming dictionary with put simple line togther...remember u don't have to rhyme every line...i generally do it every other line...also follow this link for good advice!
    http://www.expage.com/page/songwriting

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It doesn't have to rhyme at all! :) If there is a good flow and nice ring to the words, and as long as they aren't complete jibberish, it can still be a very nice lyric. Some of the best musical lyrics I've read/heard don't rhyme.

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I suppose it can come in handy, but don't rely on it! My old band's guitarist bought one, and once came to us with a song that featured the lines "Now I don't know who you are/You're about as famous as Balacizar" - Balacizar being, of course, that well-known fifth century Jewish prophet or something like that. Still, if you like more unusual lyrics, that could be a good idea!

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley and the Wailers

dunno that one.
    What do I get for 1 out of 2 correct???

8. When I pracitced with my old band, wed come up with some music but no words so the guitarist would pick up a book of biblical stuff or sports statistics and start singing them. Some of it sounded pretty funny.
    Or, be like many punk bands and sing about beer and anarchy.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    what David Bowie used to do is:
    cut words in the news paper, anything, put them in a hat. and just take them one after the other, and see what it gives.

10. Please keep in mind that Hong Kong gets TV shows REALLY late compared to the US as you read the following...:D

I just watched the season finale of Roswell (season 1, I believe...:p) and the words "Being single & having a sensitive side sucks".
    SO, in spirit of this new information, I'm going to see if a song titled "Being single & having a sensitive side sucks" can write itself out...:D:p

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    so i wrote some words. (none of them any good!) but all of them come out as this really dark depressive ****. any help except prozac?

12. well, dark depressive fecal matter ain't all THAT bad, if it's the kinda stuff you wanna be playin' or singin'...