song writing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anubis101, Jun 12, 2001.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    so...those of you in a band, when your band is writing songs how do you do it? music first, the lyrics? the other way around? or does it just happen?
  2. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Lyrics first, lead singer sings lyrics, either myself (bassist) or guitarist lays down a main riff with those lyrics - the other player compliments this riff with one of his own. Then the drummer puts down a tempo. Poof, song. :D
  3. Most often... the verse section will be written first and starts with a guitar, bass or keyboard line. After that is comfortable, the chorus and bridge parts are written around where the singer feels the song moving him.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, first there is a burst of divine inspiration as glowing light surround me. My pen flows over the page, presenting crescendos and couterpoints the likes of which I could never imagine on my own...

Actually, the only songs I've ever written are instrumentals, and they usually just come out of a riff or chord progression I get from noodlig around. In the other cases the guitarist or singer will usually have an idea and I'll just build on that.
  5. well since i also play in a band where I'm the main songwriter, i do alot of writing. It can go either way for me, sometimes I'll write lyrics and the band will build upon that, or vice versa. IMO your songs will be better lyrically if you write the lyrics before the music, cause you have extra emotion into it.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Prior to me being bandless...

Usually, lyrics would come first. Then the guys would lay down a riff according to the way the vocals were presented. So the music matched the words. We would jink it around to make it work, but pretty much always lyrics first...
  7. we just have a lot of music and lyrics laying around and we jsut piece them together.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, when I was writing "songs" as such, for bands I was in; I would usually start with a drum pattern on drum machine and then build up the song from there - a synth part or bass part. Lyrics were always last, as I can never write them - my attempts have just been too embarassing. I always got soembody else to write the lyrics after everything else had been done - or just leave it as an instrumental!

I did collaborate on a few songs with a saxophonist/singer - she played or sung me her ideas and then I went away and programmed/recorded a backing track, to which she added vocals and sax; but this was unique for me, in that usually song writing is a solitary business - until it comes to the lyrics.

This is one of the reasons I stopped - as I realised I really missed getting out and playing music with other people. At one time, I thought that you had to write all your own songs to be able to play, but since "discovering" Jazz I find I enjoy getting out and playing this, meeting people more than I ever would if I wrote a hit single or something like this.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We almost always come up with the music first. Lyrics get written after we have come up with the music. I suck at writing lyrics, so I don't take part in that end of it.
  10. this may not be the right thread for this but what does IMO mean?
  11. Usually when me and my friends try to write songs, we'll just pick some chords and try to play stuff. I had my clarinet playing friend over, I played bass, it suprisingly didnt' sound too bad, but it was just instrumental, and we didn't really write anything. But I recently remembered I have an omnichord that can be a really primitive drum machine, so I'm going to have to play with that for a while.
  12. Blackbassguitar84

Apr 16, 2000
    I have a mixed deal with my band. Some times it is lyrics others it is music. Dependig. And sometimes we will have lyrics that i have made by myself and put it with the music that our lead put together. I think it just happens. It is truly magic.
  13. IMO is an acronym for In My Opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

*** = What The F#$@

hope that helps :)

14. very much so.