Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

song writing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Oct 10, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i need some tips on how to write songs, how to exploit what i am trying to say, knoq what i mean? Also could u try and give me a cool band name, along the line of oai or the who?
    cheers.

2. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    what type of music do ya play? that would help people when giving you a band name.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sometimes I've sat down in the past with the intent of writing a song. It has never worked.

Sometimes I sit down with my bass, or at the piano, just tinkering around, and I'll write a song.

Personally, I've never been able to force the process. A melodic structure, or the basic harmonies of the song, have usually come about through just messing around. Sometimes I'll discover a basic key that I like, and then I'll build from there. Theory really helps. It helps me know how I want to resolve a chord, or where I want to go next. Basic things like the circle of fifths can help tremendously. But for me, my theory knowledge will help give me more options. So, if I'm messing around in some key, and I like the way one chord sounds after another, I can think of what typically sounds good after that, what best resolves that chord or another. That'll usually be the building blocks. I can fiddle with those chords some, augment the chord, diminsh the chord, whatever, and figure out where I want to go. Also, as I play more and more, I just learn more and more about what I think sounds good. Personally, I've really come to like Eb minor and C minor, so I'll mess around with those a lot. I like the typical II-V7-I change in jazz, but maybe I'll fiddle with that a bit. (Of course, the basic I-IV-V 12-bar blues progressions seems to have unlimited potential!)

I guess the point is, in my experience, theory helps tremendously. I like a lot of harmonies in my music, and I try to avoid 2-4 chord songs. Of course, sometimes, that's all it takes. I let songs grow a lot. I really feel like I'm never fully done with a song, and it can take me playing it for months before I really become comfortable with the feel of the song. As weird as it may seem, I really feel like each song has a purpose, and identity, and a soul. It's important for me not to rush the process, or sacrifice the integrity of the music.

Now that I sit here and think about it, was that helpful at all??!?!

4. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i play stuff like oasis, led-zeppelin and The Who. oh yeh this is the person ho wrote the original thread!!!

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Just do it! that sounds cliche but its true. just keep playing and trying things til you hit on parts you like. its as simple or difficult as you make it. sure you'll get all sorts of "explanations" on how to do it, but it all boils down to the fact that there is no set method of writing. so....just do it!

6. NAME: Who Led you to the Oasis

7. Bassmonster

Bassmonster

Mar 24, 2000
    I have a problem just sitting down and writing a song also. My songs are put together very spontaneously. I'll just be noodling around on my bass and the formation of the song will start to come into my head. The words come from either something I have already written or I might get lucky and come up with something that fits. That's the one major problem when writing songs, fitting the words into the music. I guess the answer is not to force yourself to write a song, wait until you come up with something you're comfortable with.

8. Ok, tips on song writing

Songs can never be forced. Lyrically i have tried to sit down and write but it comes out pathetic and try-hard. The best song i ever wrote (its being published and also recorded now) was written at 2 in the morning. A line popped into my head after getting a glass of water, I just wrote it down and the rest flowed, i didn't need to think.

As for riffs, I guess the same goes, just play and let your hands wander.

When a good song is achieved either lyrically or in its structure, you get an odd feeling in your chest, you subconsciously know its gonna work. If you can come back the next day, then say a few weeks later and it still works, you can't find anything to chage it, then you have a ripper song!

Was that too tripped out for you? :D
    It works for me. lol

Merls

9. Ooooo, I love this subject!!! I try to listen to music that inspires me.It's a challenge to avoid total imitation but sometimes that happens when you're starting out.It's okay,in time ,you'll develop your own style.The more you write,the better you'll get.Also,Try to keep a tape recorder handy when you're writing/playing,that way you won't lose any ideas.

10. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I find I write songs in one of two ways:

1. I let it flow out. It may start with certain tones I hear in my head, or it may come out while I'm just goofing off on my acoustic guitar or my bass, or even my crappy keyboard, either way don't think about it and it'll be fine.

And the complete opposite I do is:

2. I think about how I want each part to sound (when instruments play, how they'll sound, drum loops, general sound, etc.) and occasional some chord ideas, and I write it down, then come back to it a few days later. Sometimes I'll change an original idea if it makes the song to sound better, sometimes I don't. But waiting a few days keeps it from sounding forced out, and allows my influences to soak in. Right now I'm working on a song that I wrote down about 2 weeks ago, I'm just now starting to write the music for it.

Neither way is a sure fire way to write a song, it's just how I do it.

11. eric smiley

eric smiley

Oct 15, 2000
    I think the biggest key to writting songs or music is to be persistant and organized. I live in Montpelier Vermont which has a pretty big music scene. What most people do around here is quite effective.
    Either get/buy/steal a hand-held recorder to carry with you, or carry a small pad of paper. Then as things come to you (ANYTHING!!!) put it down on tape or paper. Granted, using the recorder in public is a bit awkward at first, but try to not let that bother you. Use it at all times. I personally use the pad of paper because I might only write down one or two lines at a time. Then I take the small piece of paper and put it in an envelope. After awhile you'll get quite the little collection of notes gathered up. Then when you are feeling creative, sit down and put them together like a puzzle. It's amazing what comes out of it. I hope this helpes you out even a little bit. Best of luck to you. Smiley

12. just be who you wanna be and let the rest flow

13. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Well, get some kinda groove in your head, then start humming it and change it to make it good. Then put it on bass...duh...

Well, as idiotic as this post was, I just did it to reveal my great way of writing songs. It involved the above step, and then because I'm a dunce when it comes to putting it on bass, I'll hum it note by note into a tuner, get the note and play it. Yes I'm sad...but that's only the concern of me and my therapist.