Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

songs/albums with exemplary/definitive tones of lesser-known classic basses?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Oct 27, 2002.

1. what tracks would you say feature the definitive, or most distinctive tones of each of these basses;

Fender Mustang and Musicmaster, Bass V, Coronado
    Gibson Thunderbird
    Gibson EB2
    Gibson EB0 and EB3
    Gibson Les Paul (Triumph, Recording, Signature and recent models)
    Gibson Ripper, Grabber, G3, RD Artist
    Guild starfire
    Ampeg Dan Armstrong
    Ampeg scroll-head
    Ashbory
    Rickenbacker 3000
    Travis bean
    Musicman sabre
    G & L L2000
    Ovation magnum
    Kramer aluminium-neck (esp. 8 string model)
    Steinberger
    Wal, fretted and fretless
    Alembic
    Spector NS1 NS2 NS4 etc.
    BC Rich eagle (original 70's model)

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As for the Sabre, get ALL of Roy Ayers' CD's. His bassist play that same one to this day.
    The Mustang, early Talking Heads.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Tool's bassist uses Wal basses, primarily

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    For the Les Paul basses, check out all of the Ben Folds Five albums.

5. Gibson Thunderbird, go for The Who. I think.

Gibson EB-3, go for Cream. Wheels of Fire is my favourite.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Blimey you dont ask much do you!

Woodchuck - I love Roy Ayers!!! - and I didnt know his bassist used a Sabre - fanks!

Here's as many responses as I can muster,,,

Gibson - not sure what model(s) to be honest - but Geezer Butler from Sabbath!

Rickenbacker 3000 - Paul McCartney, was it a 3000?

Alembic - Stanley Clarke

Spector - Sting

I must say those are some weird basses you asked about? - Any particular reason?

:)
    HK

7. Listen to anything by Shellac if you want to hear a Travis Bean.

8. i think the guy from garbage plays a musicman sabre. i'm not sure if mike dirnt used a ripper to record green day's "dookie" but he was playing it in the "basket case" vid...

9. -because there have been enough threads about P and J bass and Rick 4001/4003 recorded tones;)
    -and all those basses to avoid separate threads for each.

I'm asking basically to find out if there are players out there I haven't heard of who've got distinctive tones out of any of these basses- eg. the bassists for Shellac and Roy Ayers as Matthew West and Woodchuck said.
    - and specific recordings to check out.

re. the MM Sabre I remember the BP article about Garbage's bassist using one in the studio.
    also the bassist for King used one on "love and pride"- he used it live, at least.

the well-known users of the Gibson EB3 are Andy Fraser and Jack Bruce.
    Simon Gallup of the Cure's used the EB2 and the thunderbird.
    Craig Adams used a Gibson RD Artist on early tracks by The Mission.

I'm not sure if Sting ever recorded with that white Spector NS2 he used on the Synchronicity tour.
    an well-known user is Jason Newsted with Metallica (black album, Load album)

Paul McCartney used a Rick 4001s - the 3000 is a short-scale bolt-on bass, - I know Mani of Primal Scream uses one live.

Wal- Mick Karn

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Fender Mustang: Trevor Boulder (David Bowie (Spiders from Mars era))

Fender Bass V: I've seen a photo of John Paul Jones playing one in the Led Zep days.

Gibson Thunderbird: John Entwistle used one in the '70s that had a Fender neck. I've also seen shots of Bootsy Collins with a pink Thunderbird.

Gibson EB3: Jack Bruce, Andy Fraser (Free), Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath), Felix Pappalardi (Mountain).

Guild Starfire: Jack Cassady (Jefferson Airplane) and Phil Lesh (The Grateful Dead) both used them in the late '60s/early '70s, though both had their basses modified with early active electronics.

Ampeg Dan Armstrong: Jack Bruce used a fretless model during the '70s.

Ampeg scroll-head: Boz Burrell (Bad Company), Jah Wobble.

Rickenbacker 3000: Mani (Primal Scream)

Steinberger: I believe that Tony Levin had the first one, a fretless model.

Wal, fretted and fretless: Early Jonas Hellborg, Percy Jones (Brand X), Mick Karn (Japan)

Alembic: Stanley Clarke, Mark King, John Paul Jones (latter Led Zep), Greg Lake (latter ELP), John Entwistle (his "spider bass" during the '70s.)

11. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Patrick Dahlheimer of LIVE has several Gibsons:

-Gibson Thunderbird
    -70's (Hollowbody) Sunburst Gibson LesPaul Signature
    -70's Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Signature
    -'71 Gold Top Gibson Les Paul Signature
    -'70 Tobacco Burst Gibson Les Paul Signature

I saw him using the Thunderbird in the second "Turn My Head" video. And he has used the Les Pauls in concert for such songs as "Lightning Crashes" and "Ghost".

12. from the Bassist and BP interviews I've read I gather Patrick Dahlheimer has quite a bit of a bass collection going- along the lines of John Entwistle's:)

I downloaded some Roy Ayers to check out the MM Sabre tone- much like the tone on King's "love & pride", so that must be a sabre on record too. vaguely like a Jazz bass, with a slight stingray added treble edge and high-mid-scoop.

Spector- Carmine Rojas used an NS2 on David Bowie's let's dance album.
    the bassist for Tantric (forget his name, but he's on the endorsee list) gets a grindy Spector tone on "breakdown".

Thunderbird- Mark Hamilton of Ash (uses only 3 strings!) and Pete Vuckovic of Three colours red.
    both of them play hard near the neck with a pick, often with distortion. time to download some 3CR to revisit that tone.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Didn't Allen Woody often use a Thunderbird? And Nikki Sixx?

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Ovation Magnum: Jah Wobble with Public Image Limited on Second Edition and later solo/collab stuff (think he's used it forever basically)

Think the guy in 764-HERO (from the northwest) uses/d a Travis Bean aluminum-neck.

Steinberger L2 - mid-80s Genesis, Rush's Grace Under Pressure

15. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Indeed he does. Over 40 basses I believe. :) I was just looking over my gear list I have of his and I realize that he has 2 Gibson Thunderbirds: a '62 and a '76 so I'm not sure which one was used in the "Turn My Head" video.

Check out this picture he sent me not long ago of some of old guitars that he doesn't use anymore:

http://community-2.webtv.net/RadhaOm/guitars/

:)

16. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Rush's power windows is all Wal, Marathon show's off the tone best IMO

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Adam Clayton uses a Les Paul Recording in the studio quite a bit (though never on tour it seems).

18. um, that pic doesn't seem to work for me- anyone else see it?

the bassist for the Cardigans, Magnus Svennigson, has a similar collection of various Gibsons- eg. EB2, Tbird and Les Paul signature.

re. Nikki Sixx, in that BP interview he said that the Tbird was his favourite bass live, but least favourite in the studio, so who knows what's on Motley Crue's records.

re. The Ovation Magnum, Barry Adamson used one with Magazine- I think that's it on "back to nature"- a sort of grunting/crunching sound with a pick.

I'll have to search through the Rush Chronicles compilation to separate the Steinberger and Wal 80's Rush tones.
    I know that Lonnie Marshall of Weapon of Choice uses a Steinberger, but with the amount of effects he uses it's difficult to hear the true character of the bass.

19. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hmmm...sorry about that. You might have to copy the URL into your browser instead of clicking on it: http://community.webtv.net/RadhaOm/guitars/

Anyway, I just thought of another person: Simon Gallup of The Cure uses a Gibson Thunderbird. I've seen him use it on VH1's "Hard Rock Live" (I have their performance of "Just Like Heaven" recorded and I remember him using the bass for that song. And I'm quite sure I've seen him use the bass elsewhere I just can't remember right now...

20. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Another example of the Sabre is Rudy Sarzo on Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil".

I'll have to check out some Garbage to see if it sounds anything similar tonewise.