Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs/Artists that make exclusive use of the 6 string bass...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Aug 1, 2005.

1. I'm not talking about songs that can be played on a 5 mostly, but songs that are all over a 6s fretboard. I'm curious because I'm getting a six string soon and would like to learn some six string specific songs/artists.
    I plan on learning a lot of Dream Theater (even though lots can be played on a 5)
    Tony Levin
    John Patitucci (sp?)
    etc.

any suggestions song wise?

2. Check out Anthony Jackson. Steuart Liebig plays 6s (and a 12) exclusively. You'll benefit from hearing each of them. ;)

Steve Bailey and Adam Nitti playa ton of 6 as well.

Chuck Rainey plays a very stellar custom Mike Adler 6 string. That would be a great custom choice for you. www.adlerguitars.com
    This kind of bass would probably make you one of the coolest people in North Carolina!

3. As if owning Jay Terriens solo album wasn't enough, hah.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Oteil kills on his Modulus 6'er.

5. Scronk

Scronk

Mar 25, 2004
    I could be wrong but Im pretty sure that Tony Levin has never really played a 6. He does however play a chapman stick which I believe has a range way beyond a 6 string on some stuff like King Crimson which could be what has caused you to list him as a 6 player.

As for songs I remember hearing that "Amazing Grace" by Victor Wooten requires a 6 for playing some of the harmonics.

6. Ahhh, A Show of Hands was 4 strings man.

And check out Liquid Tension Expiremtn for 6 string tony levin.

7. Phil Lesh since about 1984.

8. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    JoJo Garcia - Los Lonely Boys. Plays a Hohner B 6 and does a few songs that make really nice use of it. ;)

9. suprised noone mentioned les claypool. although not every single one of his songs is on 6 string, i would say at least a good 60 to 70 percent of them are. check out Primus: Brown Album, Pork Soda and Sailing the Seas Of Cheese are the most 6 string heavy albums. im not entirely sure but i think the bassist of 311 uses a 6........could be wrong.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Dave Schools of Widespread Panic has been playing 6s for as long as I can remember.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I am 99% positive Tony Levin doesn't play a 6 string bass.
    4 & 5 string MusicMans
    NS Design electric upright and cello
    Stick (10 string I believe)

... no 6 strings

Check out The more recent Blues Travelers stuff... Tad plays a 6.