1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs/Artists you NOW Appreciate...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by P. Aaron, May 2, 2010.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...that you didn't before?

A few: Tall Cool Woman by the Hollies. I don't know why, but the simplicity is what does it for me here.

Shining Star by Earth, Wind & Fire. This song's been all over the place, so why study it? Uhh...because it's really cool! That's why.

Head Over Hells by Tears for Fears. A great song with a pretty cool bass line.

These songs have been all ove the airwaves and suddenly, yeah they are cool.

I am sure you all have others...thoughts please.

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    "Surfer Girl" - Beach Boys
    I was never into the Beach Boys, but this song is so smooth vocally and musically, and so perfectly produced, that I really came to appreciate it as I got older.

3. P. Aaron

These days I enjoy: Wouldn't it Be Nice and Don't Worry Baby.

60's Soul & Funk music has also gotten alot of attention lately.

4. alirazz

alirazz

Jun 30, 2009
    Chambana, IL
    The Mars Volta, listening to these guys with headphones really helps because there's so much going on at the same time. My friend has been trying to get me to listen to them for a long time and I just really "got" them by listening to Frances the Mute yesterday.

Also everything by the flaming lips and modest mouse. I think I used to get turned off by singers with bizarre voices but I'm just starting to appreciate bands like that.

5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Songs that have simple but classic guitar riffs, like "Satisfaction," "Smoke on the Water," etc. I've always liked them, but I never really appreciated how hard it is to write a timeless riff. They may be simple and fairly easy to learn, but how many guitar riffs have truly stood the test of time and become classic?

6. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    The Smiths. Just got their live album RANK and it's actually pretty rockin'.

7. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    I'm revisiting some of the 70's funk/soul stuff (not d**co), but the guys I gained some respect for is Cheap Trick. I hated them at the time Budachon came out. They opened for Rush (circa Permanent Waves) and we almost booed them off the stage. I really hated RN's debauchery of guitar and that monstrosity of a 5-necker. They can't do that! Music is serious business!

Hey, we were all into Floyd and Yes and Kansas and and...you know, real music.

They've grown on me over the years. I've played IWYtWM in virtually every cover band I've ever been in (since then), and I think Surrender is a great song on a lot of levels.

I still can't stand that 5-necker, though...

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've always been a fan of Van Morrison and always felt he had good players around him, but I never realized till last week what a killer bass line "into the mystic" has. If someone told me that was Jammerson I'd believe it. And I have to have listened to the song a hundred times before I noticed it.

Another guy whose playing I listened to all the time a never really was a fan of who I've grown to appreciate is John Paul Jones. Even though I loved Zep, by the time I was listening to them there was so much hot fusion happening with guys like Stanley, and Jaco I just never considered JPJ a great bass player. Now I realize he basically held together one of the most groundbreaking groups in the history of music. He was certainly as good of player as Paul McCartney and more innovative (as a bass player) in some ways.

9. P. Aaron

I am not a Journey fan, but their bassist, and the bassists for Free and Bad Company also have terrific lines. Good, solid, simple but tasteful tones that just make the music work.

All of those bands' music I dissmissed for years as audio wallpaper, but am now playing those songs (& listening this time!) again with a deeper sense of appreciation.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out their early releases...pre-Steve Perry, Gregg Rollie (Santana keys/vocalist) was doing much of the lead vocals.
    At this point, Journey was anything but "audio wallpaper". ;)

Funny how you have Free & Bad Company lumped together...1/2 of Free became Bad Company. In any event, Andy Fraser & Boz Burrell (RIP) are both very fine & capable players. Fraser may have the best Gibson tone I've heard. ;)

11. P. Aaron

Journey's first 2 records I really liked. It was proggy and jam-like. Steve Perry's a fine singer, and the music is good too, it just got too much rotation.

I knew that Bad Co & Free had some co-mingling of band mates. Just good bass stuff that was so nicely played. Thanks for the tip about the Gibson tone.

Now I gotta dig deeper...cool.