Songs feat. Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom (Bass VI)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DracoAran, Jan 22, 2005.

1. DracoAran

Jan 22, 2005
    Hey guys, I'm thinking that I might pick up a bass, and I'm wanting the transition to be easy. I would like to hear more about the Baritone Bass VI. They came out with the tune-o-matic version this past year and it looks fkn great. I've always wanted a Jaguar without the tremolo, and it would be cool to experiment with a somewhat unorthodoxed bass sound. Even chords.

Anyway, what are some specific songs that feature this instrument?. Anyone?.

2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    As that's a new instrument, probably not any. It's got a slightly shorter scale than than the old Bass VI (28" v. 30"), and no middle pickup. Also the fixed bridge.
  3. geshel is it as it may, listen to early Cream, Jack bruce played one "fresh cream" is the only one i believe, the cure's robert smith plays one, but i don't know what songs, Rick Danko from "the band" played one as well, but i don't know which songs!
  4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    The old version was used on a lot of Patsy Cline records. They called it a tic-tac bass because it would be doing the "boom-tic-a" thing while a "real" bass would be playing the bass line. The thing has a deep country heritage, which is probably not what you wanted to hear: Glenn Campbell ("Wichita Lineman," e.g.), Steve Earle ("Guitar Town"), and so on.

Superbassman2000 wants one so bad...
  5. DracoAran

Jan 22, 2005
    Someone just pointed me in the direction of a Hellcat VI. They have 3 pickups and 30" scale.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yep - the Hellcat VI is a more true replacement for the Bass VI, I think it's what Robert Smith is using now.

I think most all of the clean guitar lines on Disintegration are the Bass VI. The melody in "Pictures of You", for instance.
  7. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I was reading up on the cure in october's bass player, simon gallup just plays really trebly with hollowbodies, i think he actually wrote the riff to disintegreation
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yes, there are a lot of melodies on that album played by Simon on the bass. Notably,

- intro to Last Dance
    - main theme from The Same Deep Water As You

During most of the tracks though, there is a distinct "bass line" that is Simon, and another melody which is probably Robert.

In the song Disintegration, the bassline includes a ringing open G string (hit on the 2-and and the 4).