Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs for band w/female singer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimM, Jul 14, 2000.

1. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    One of the drummers I play with at church is married to a second soprano who's really a talented singer IMO.We found a guitar player and are thinking of maybe forming a band.We're looking for another guitar or a keyboard player.

Anyone have any ideas for songs ? We're all 40ish,so anything from the 60's or even 50's on would be fair game.

The drummer and I have a blast jamming to"Divin'Duck",but its not exactly a ladies tune.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

------------------
    Jim M.
    Keep Tahoe Bluesy

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Motown? Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Marvalettes, Martha Reeves,...ever see THE COMMITMENTS movie?

...or Linda Ronstant, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, any of the New(Pop Music)Country females(Shania, Faith, Deanna Carter, etc).

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Jim,

Are you ever gonna let me get there first? [​IMG]

You might also check out 'Staples Singers', Aretha (vocal abilities and attitude allowing), Betty Wrights 'Clean Up Woman' has been a long time favorite of mine. How about Rufus, 'Tell Me Something Good' or some Bonnie Raitt. I recently heard an old favorite of mine, Delaney and Bonnie's 'Only You Know'. There's lots of good stuff out there.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok, so this ain't from the 50's or 60's, but I think that The Pretenders are a pretty good band to cover. You could also play some Joni Mitchell (Hejira might be nice for a coffee shop)

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I love the Pretenders. 'Brass in Pocket', 'Middle of the Road', 'Back in the Chain Gang'. Great tunes. Great lyrics, great attitude.

6. How about:
    Walkin' After Midnight
    Crazy
    Downtown
    Ball and Chain
    Hound Dog (Big Mama Thornton style not Elvis)
    At Last
    White Rabbit
    Please Mister Postman

What style/s are you thinking of doing?

------------------
    Ciao
    Mike

7. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Really great suggestions,folks.
    I knew you guys would come up with some good stuff.

I'm still not sure what type of music we'll be playing.I think it'll be a wide cross-section but mostly Pop tunes.I have my own version of "I'm a Man" retitled "I'm a Dad" that they actually want to play.guess I'll have to sing that one.

thanks again for the ideas.

------------------
    Jim M.
    Keep Tahoe Bluesy

8. white rabbit is great, also how about "you're so vain" by carly simon i believe.

------------------
    we hope you are ok.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Another great but underrated band was Lone Justice. They had great songs and their lead singer , Maria McKee, who's now gone solo, has a beautiful voice, so there could be some good material there too.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Any of the Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders) would be good.

Opps, you said 50's, I have no idea!

------------------
    If you can't do it with horsepower, watts or explosives, it ain't worth doing.

[This message has been edited by nanook (edited July 23, 2000).]

11. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Well,what I meant to say was 'anything from the 50s until the present'but these are really good ideas,thanks.

12. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    How about some Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow, Carol King, etc. Bonnies version of "My Little Runaway" is nice.

------------------
    Paul

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    It's neen awhile since I listened to it but perhaps some Delaney and Bonnie might yield some interesting selections. 'Only You know and I Know' for example.