Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs for beginner.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by arcana, Dec 25, 2002.

1. arcana

arcana

Dec 23, 2002
    Finland
    I'm kinda new in bass. I got my first bass a hmm... almost a week ago :p
    So could you recommend good tunes to play. I've played RHCPs Around the world and Parallel universe. And Seinfeld's theme 8) (I found the tab for it somewhere here, but I think it was incorrect and I had to play it by ear..)
    I've played guitar earlier for few years so it probably have helped me to get started.
    With bass I have played scales and looked at some slapstuff I found from Warwick basses -site.
    Hjm.. I would like to play jazzsongs, something like King Crimson or something like that. Please no those songs that are played on MTV all the day. There are some hard pieces, but mainly that basic stuff.

2. arcana

arcana

Dec 23, 2002
    Finland
    I did notice that thread. But I started this because I looked at the pieces that were on the other thread on mostly the pieces were those you could play in 5 minutes.
    Bit harder songs I'd prefer. Like I said I have background with a guitar so I can play bit better than somebody who's totally stranger with the bass.
    Though I know that the bass is totally different intrument than the guitar there is similarities between them, so I'm not a totally beginner.

3. tommy the cat - primus
    throwdown at the hoedown - bela fleck & the flecktones.

4. arcana

arcana

Dec 23, 2002
    Finland
    I listened that Tommy the cat and that's a bit too hard :D
    A little easier would be fine.

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    12 major scales (3 different fingerings in every octave possible on the fretboard)
    36 major scales (as many different fingerings as there are, I'm not sure because I just recently started shedding on those)
    Modes (Dorian and Mixolydian to start with)
    Arpeggios (play them up to the 9, then do Maj7 arpeggios, Min7 arpeggios, and all that good stuff)
    Also listen to some of your favorite songs by your bass influences and try to lift the lines by ear. Also check out the Chuck Rainey Bass Method, that's a good book.

Dirk

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Why don't you choose a couple of songs that you like, and tell us the name? If I know them, I'll help you through them. It's always more fun when it's a song you know and like.

7. j_alan

j_alan

Jan 4, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Don't know if you like reggae or not, but reggae songs have cool grooves and a lot of them are slow enough to pick up pretty quick. You can find quite a few challenging bass lines in reggae also so you won't run out of material. Bob Marley stuff is really cool. Give it a listen and see if you like it.

8. arcana

arcana

Dec 23, 2002
    Finland
    I thought that Teen town (Weather Report) would be fun. Hmm.. Should I slap that C note? Or will I just play the whole tune with my index and middle finger?

9. u want to play teen town but think tommy the cat is too hard?

how about "bernadette", "aint nothing like the real thing" and "i was made to love her" by james jamerson

jack bruce on "crossroads" is cool to play to