1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Songs for beginners to cover?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by roguearthur, Aug 17, 2007.

1. roguearthur

roguearthur

Apr 18, 2007
    Well, I'm teaching myself bass, and im having a hard time, i dont know where to really begin, i want to play along with songs, who doesn't? haha.. anyways the music i end up trying to look up is usually hard, can anybody name me a few songs that you know theres a tab out there on bass that i can play along with? music im into i guess metal or pop punk..

its just i dont know where to start playing bass, except trying to play music that is actually easy enough to play and just keep covering songs and slowly working up?

2. killing in the name, song 2, smells like teen spirit...

3. There's alot of U2 stuff out there that's really easy and good music to learn and remember where notes are. Not too fast, pretty much quarter notes all the way through. Most of there stuff has a nicd slow groove and you can really get a feel of the song as you play it.

4. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I think the easiest song I've ever had to learn is "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd. It goes "E A F# B" over and over and over again. Good practice for a beginner though. Blink 182's "Damnit" is SUPER easy and Seether's "Remedy" is pretty easy too! Now go forth and ROCK!!!

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Cream - Sunshine of your love
    Pink Floyd - Money or Comfortably Numb
    Anything country (I IV I V)
    SRV - Crossfire
    Booker T - Time is tight
    James Jamerson - My Girl

Those are the first off of the top of my head.

Mike

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Aces High - Iron Maiden

Of course, you'll want to start slow, but it's a simple and easy bass part otherwise.

7. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    The Ramones, the Misfits, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, The Who, the list is endless. Learn to play songs you already know as a listener. That's going to be easier than trying to learn a song you've never heard before.

8. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    First of all, one good lesson will make a huge difference for you in the long run. Secondly, check out the Tab White Pages. My beginning students have been loving it- full of great songs from lots of different styles. Great for beginners, and covers alot of the ground mentioned above.

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Whatever you learn, be mindful of what chords you are playing under. For a beginner I'd recommend learning some typical traditional chord changes.

12 bar blues (maybe Rock this Town /Stray Cats?)
    anything I-VI-V -VI (louie,louie)
    Rhythm changes I-vi-ii-V
    Every breath you take (I-vi-VI-V for the verse at least)

10. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Good advice, but Logan meant to say I - IV - V (IV is four, vi is six). And BTW, there's a reason for the caps/lowercase - but not here....

Also Rock This Town is based on a 16-bar pattern, it's not a 12-bar blues:

I | | | |
    I | |V | |
    I | |IV | |
    I |V |I | |