Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Songs for Beginners

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jurisfiction, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jurisfiction

jurisfiction

Apr 13, 2005
    I've got an old beginners book, but are there any good songs to get me started?

2. This should not be in the bass forum. :eyebrow:

However, my opinion would be to look for songs that you like and are familiar with and find a good teacher. Otherwise, it's hard to beat learning from a DVD.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum - moved.

4. jurisfiction

jurisfiction

Apr 13, 2005
    Sorry. :crying:

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, I listen to a lot of Christian music, so if you are cool with that, some good stuff to start with (er, I started out with were)

"Unbelievable" and "When in Doubt" - Thousand Foot Krutch - songs sound good and are ridiculously to get the basslines down.

Uh, tryin to think of what else...a lot of the music by Skillet is pretty easy...

Well, after the beginner stuff, I quickly started on Five Iron Frenzy - ska lines are not the easiest thing to learn...

6. ((ZASDER))

((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    I started with AC DC back in black...

Good song for beginners I think

7. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    QUIET RIOT - C'MON FEEL THE NOISE
    i learned this song the first day i started playing bass

8. any old punk songs are good to start with nice and simple, blink 182 has really easy bass lines

9. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Start with classic simple lines, it'll help develop your style. I would suggest:
    "Eight Days a Week" - The Beatles
    "Don't be Cruel" - Elvis
    "Last Kiss" - J.Frank Wilson
    "My Girl" - The Temptations
    Listen to everything you can, it'll give you ideas on how to form your own lines. Enjoy!

10. Sunday

Sunday

Mar 30, 2005
    Denver
    Rock on with the TFK! Though i wouldn't recommend anything by skillet for a beginner, John Cooper is pretty crazy from the tabs i've read.

Try "The Reason" by Hoobastank. I learned it in five minutes or so.
    And if your into Ska try "Little man" by The OC Supertones and Riot Gear by Five Iron Frenzy they're alot of fun.

Blink 182 has pretty easy songs as well

B!

11. aquablue

aquablue

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami, Florida
    The first song I learned on the bass was Good Times Bad Times by Jones (Led Zeppelin).